Introducing new ducks

Jenny421

Songster
May 21, 2021
Hi, I posted on here before about how to handle having 2 drakes with my 1 female Pekin duck and our chickens. I absolutely hate having to rehome the males since all 3 are so close and always together. But we can’t have more than 3 ducks because their coop won’t fit more so getting more females to balance it out won’t work for us. All the ducks and chickens are free range during the day. We found someone to take our two males and we found two females for sale. Do we need to do anything special to introduce the two new ducks?

Yes, that’s correct. And removing the two males from the flock. Thanks for the article. That’s super helpful!

So the two new females fit in perfectly and all 5 ducks were out exploring and having lots of fun together. We took the two boys to their new home yesterday and now all 3 females seem really sad. They aren’t up and walking around and they just lay around the yard. It’s only been a day, but will they get over the sadness of losing the boys? Is there anything I can do to help them?

They will it will just take time. My ducks would be sad if their drakes were gone. I think from watching my ducks and chickens the drakes and roosters mean a lot to a flock and the females adore their drakes. I'm sure if they were gone one of the females will become the leader of the flock. Actually, the drakes here pretty much follow the females around.
Give your girls some time.

They will it will just take time. My ducks would be sad if their drakes were gone. I think from watching my ducks and chickens the drakes and roosters mean a lot to a flock and the females adore their drakes. I'm sure if they were gone one of the females will become the leader of the flock. Actually, the drakes here pretty much follow the females around.
Give your girls some time.
Thanks! It makes me sad and I want to go get the boys back. Lol! But we have lots of chickens and not enough female ducks so I know it’s not a good idea, unfortunately.

Back
Top Bottom