Introducing new geese into your gaggle?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Raelyn, May 5, 2011.

1. Raelyn

Raelyn Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2011
    Central North Carolina
    Right now we have 2 Toulouse and 3 African geese and will be adding 2 Embdens and 2 Pomeranians that our friends are getting rid of.

How do we go about introducing all of them?

2. BeccaOH

BeccaOH Morning Gem Farm

Oct 3, 2008
    east central Ohio
    Age would be a factor.

Last year I was give a pair of grown Embdens and already had a grown pair. I just threw them in the same large yard and let them work out their own relationship. They actually settled in quite quickly.

Last year I raised up a couple Pomeranian goslings starting in May in a covered pen and then when fully feathered moved them into a yard on the other side of the fence from my grown geese. By fall when I wasn't worried about breeding anymore, I opened my gates, which opened the separate yards and spent garden into one large yard for the chickens, ducks, and geese over winter. They all integrated well (though my oldest Embden gander still doesn't' like a lot of duck lovin' in his yard [​IMG] ).

So you can either throw them all together and let them work it out, or if you have the space, separate them by a fence for a while until they get used to each other a bit.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by