Introducing New Hens to Flock

GlockGal27

Hatching
9 Years
Mar 2, 2010
I have 6 new hens that need to be introduced to my free range flock. I currently have them in a coop to acclimate to their new surroundings and so the other birds can "see and visit" them.
I would greatly appreciate any suggestions how to introduce them.
One at a time? All at once??
My chickens roost in the barn at night. Will these new girls generally follow everyone else??

I am a newbie, sorry if I sound too idiotic. I just want what is best for my birds.
big_smile.png

I would definitely introduce them as a group versus one by one. It is good that there are six of them. Initially they may be harassed a little by the older girls but since there are six, they can stick together as a mini flock. The best thing is for them all to be the same size (versus trying to introduce 9-week-old chicks to an established flock of grown up hens). The other thing is to make sure you have multiple feeders and waterers. The original flock will assert dominance by trying to prohibit the new girls from eating and drinking out of the feeder, but if there are multiple feeders available, the new girls will still have access to a food source. As far as knowing how to go back to the coop at night, the best thing is to lock the new girls in the coop for the first few days so that they know it is "home". Then they will return to it at night along with the others. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom