Introducing new hens

Tbbrus

Hatching
Jun 15, 2020
Hi,
I'm new to chickens and I'm loving it. We just started our flock with 8 chicks, 5 of which turned out to be ROOS! We rehomed the roos and have 1 crested Polish, 1 barred, and 1 black sex linked hen all around 12-13 weeks old. On the same day we rehomed the roos, we introduced 2 Cinnamon Queens about 20 weeks old. We didn't quarantine them since it was such a small flock and we thought re-establishing the pecking order once with the the loss of the roos and new hens made sense. The first flock is clearly skittish of the new, older hens and won't go near them, even wanting to be in the coop rather than the run if the Cinnamons are near. The Cins will cluck and make some gestures to shoo the younger ones, sometimes chasing them. They seemed to do ok in the coop overnight, just not integrated during the day, and stressing the younger ones out some. Should I consider separating the two flocks more during the day so they can get used to each other? I can't separate at night as I don't have a separate coop. Should I leave the coop door open for the younger ones to go in or keep it closed to encourage integration? Thoughts? Suggestions? THANKS in advance.

Our coop is 6x4, the run is 8x4 plus the 6X4 under the coop. We have additional 6x12 space outside the run for supervised rec time as the younger birds can fly over that fence.
Thanks,
Tori

They seemed to do ok in the coop overnight, just not integrated during the day, and stressing the younger ones out some.
As long as there is no bloodletting or pinning down and beating, and the youngers are eating and drinking without harassment, I'd let them work it out.
Once the youngers start laying they will become more like one flock.

Your space is a bit tight for 5 birds, especially while integrating(that works best with extra space).
But I would not separate them now, it's just starts the whole process over.

Here's some tips that might help.
Integration Basics:
It's all about territory and resources(space/food/water).
Existing birds will almost always attack new ones to defend their resources.
Understanding chicken behaviors is essential to integrating new birds into your flock.

Confine new birds within sight but physically segregated from older/existing birds for several weeks, so they can see and get used to each other but not physically interact.

In adjacent runs, spread scratch grains along the dividing mesh, best if mesh is just big enough for birds to stick their head thru, so they get used to eating together.

The more space, the better.
Birds will peck to establish dominance, the pecked bird needs space to get away. As long as there's no copious blood drawn and/or new bird is not trapped/pinned down and beaten unmercilessly, let them work it out. Every time you interfere or remove new birds, they'll have to start the pecking order thing all over again.

Multiple feed/water stations. Dominance issues are most often carried out over sustenance, more stations lessens the frequency of that issue.

Places for the new birds to hide 'out of line of sight'(but not a dead end trap) and/or up and away from any bully birds. Roosts, pallets or boards leaned up against walls or up on concrete blocks, old chairs tables, branches, logs, stumps out in the run can really help. Lots of diversion and places to 'hide' instead of bare wide open run.
Good ideas for hiding places:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/a-cluttered-run.1323792/

I agree with above. Do make sure there are multiple feeding spots, out of sight of a bird eating at the other feeding sight. A piece of cardboard, a small piece of plywood will work. Add in some hide outs, platforms and roosts to the run, so many runs are just bare open rectangles where a bird can see every other bird from any position in the run.

Mrs K

Thanks AART and Mrs. K.
I'll rearrange the feeding stations. They have hiding spots and roosts. The new birds (20 week Cinns) mostly just chase the others. The youngins (original to the flock) want to run to the coop when the newbies chase them. Is it ok to let them hang out in the coop? Sometimes I close the coop door and they hangout on the ramp.

Is it ok to let them hang out in the coop? Sometimes I close the coop door and they hangout on the ramp.
That's a tough call, you don't want them to make staying in the coop a habit,
especially if there is no feed and water in the coop.
So maybe mix it up some.

You might let the bigger birds out to free range, and chase the littles out into the run for a bit each day. It generally gets better if you don't separate them, but if they gang up, it might help to pull one cinnamon queen one day, and the other the next day, just put them in a crate or fence off a corner. Just so it reduces the odds a bit.

Thanks everyone. They seem to have figured things out. The "cinns" still chase 2 of the others, sometimes, but generally they co-exist, even occasionally eating out of the feeder at the same time.

Back
Top Bottom