Introducing new hens

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by chickenbh1999, Feb 15, 2015.

1. chickenbh1999

chickenbh1999 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2014
    Is there any ideas on how to introduce about 6 new pullets to about a flock of 18 hens? The hens are a year older than the pullets.

2. chickenbh1999

chickenbh1999 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2014
    The pullets consist of a Wyandotte, some Cochins, ameraucana, polish.
    The hens consist of black stars, Wyandottes (there is 1 roster)

3. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to our flock. You need to introduce the new birds slowly but carefully (sometimes referred to as the see, but don't touch method). There is a good article at http://poultrykeeper.com/general-chickens/introducing-new-chickens explaining how to do this. Do not try to integrate the new pullets until their size approximates that of the older birds. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck in integrating the new pullets into the flock.

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Michael has given you advice and a good link to follow. I will just say Welcome to Backyard Chickens, glad you joined the flock [​IMG]

5. Cabin Katie

Cabin Katie Out Of The Brooder

Nov 16, 2014
    Like someone said earlier the whole approach of letting them see each other before they flock helps the whole pecking order process.

The pecking order is unavoidable, it's how they figure out who is where in their family. Over the summer I had gotten several donation chickens and had them chill in my chicken tractor for a day so the other chickens could see them without physical contact. You could probably do something very similar if you don't have a chicken tractor, like a coop or even a dog kennel, the important part is that they get to see everyone without physical contact. From my understanding you are knocking out 2 steps to their 3 step pecking order. It also depends what gender and how many you are introducing. 6 pullets shouldn't be that hard :] remember that pecking is normal, it's part of their social system.

6. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Michael O'Shay has given you some good advice. The only thing I would add is to watch out for the Polish, their top knots can attract some unwanted attention from the other birds.

Nice to have you join us!

7. ChickyChickens

ChickyChickens Chickening Around

May 24, 2014
    BYC? Epic <3
    My Coop
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Welcome to BYC!!! The community on here us HUGE and wonderful…so if you have ANY questions…just ASK!!!

Hope you have loads of fun and all your answers answered here on BYC the BEST CHICKEN KEEPING FORUM on EARTH!

Going here, will help you get around BYC!!! Has loads of info on how to get around the site!

How to insert pictures on BYC!!!!

@Michael OShay has given some GREAT info!! I also agree with him!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

8. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us. Good luck with the integration of your flock.

9. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC![​IMG] I'm glad you joined us.

You've received some good advice already! I hope the integration goes smoothly.[​IMG]

10. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] I'm glad you joined our "flock!"

Good luck with integrating your birds!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by