Introducing new quail to my little flock

Traceyrabbit

In the Brooder
Apr 28, 2018
One of my lovely female coturnix died yesterday when coming round from an anaesthetic to remove a large egg she was unable to pass. She was such a character and besides being sad at loosing her, I am now worried about how the remaining two females and one male will be together. The male already has a tough time with the females who make it clear they don't appreciate his constant advances!

Can I introduce new quail to them, and if so, how many and should I keep to coturnix? Mine are only about 9 weeks old. Thank you

Coturnix are your most docile quail so I'd recommend just sticking with them.

It can be very difficult to integrate groups but your best chance is having them side by side in separate cages or with a divider between them they can see through for at least a week. You'll need to let them mingle, when the time is right, in neutral territory but that could just mean rearranging the main cage and moving its location slightly, just to put your current ones on the back foot. If you hear any angry chattering you'll know all is not well.

Just be prepared to end up with two groups if it doesn't work out. I'd also recommend getting the same colour/s as your present group as they can be very racist towards colours they haven't been raised with.

Provided your cage is large enough you should be able to add new birds. You might want to just add hens to minimalize aggression with Roos and having the hens over mated.
I would suggest keeping only coturnix in that enclosure. I’ve heard that changing up the interior will help keep the existing birds from being territorial.
I had no problem adding 4 quail to my existing 4 when they were a little older than yours are now.

I recently added some new cortunix to my little flock and was VERY nervous about it. It was 5 golds to my existing two browns, the new ones were 6 weeks and the old ones 12, I do have a fairly large enclosure for them, I would make sure they are the same breed and all hens; the first day the group of golds picked on my browns but after that day everyone has been doing great snuggling together and everything.

Back
Top Bottom