Quail absolutely love not lay

I have jumbo coturnix quail that absolutely refuse to lay. They are over 4 months old. Have 21% protein, 16 hrs of light, 1/9 male to female ratio, plenty of space, constant clean water source. I’m at a loss what to do. Should I just get new stock? So frustrating.
Can you post a few pictures of your birds and their setup?

You're 21% protein feed is a layer type feed with calcium or no?

I feed my adult quail 16% layer crumble feed and have no issues with them laying.

Also, are you sure of their age? Did you hatch the birds yourself? If so, where did the eggs come from?

Can you post a few pictures of your birds and their setup?

You're 21% protein feed is a layer type feed with calcium or no?

I feed my adult quail 16% layer crumble feed and have no issues with them laying.

Also, are you sure of their age? Did you hatch the birds yourself? If so, where did the eggs come from?
I will get some photos in the morning. It is a game bird feed. I hatched them. I got the eggs from a lady local to me. She said hers have been laying by 8 weeks.

They may just need a little more time? Jumbos are a little on the lagging time as compared to regular Cot's.
I only have jumbo cots and I got the eggs from MyShire and Sandy Soil farms. Some of mine have been a bit slower, but the majority started laying between 5 1/2 to 7 weeks. Are you saying that regulars start even earlier?

I only have jumbo cots and I got the eggs from MyShire and Sandy Soil farms. Some of mine have been a bit slower, but the majority started laying between 5 1/2 to 7 weeks. Are you saying that regulars start even earlier?
All of my eggs come from Myshire.
All of my birds start laying near 6 weeks.
I have had some start at 5 weeks.
Regular size and jumbo.

They mature earlier than jumbos. I don't raise Cot's anymore but raise Jumbo Bob's, more properly Butler Bobwhites. I also raise Northern Bobwhites, as well as other color variants.
My Butlers weigh on average 28oz. The Northern Bob's weigh between 10 to 12 oz. on average. The Northern's mature quicker than the Butlers and take less feed to reach that weight.
So, I'm guessing it shouldn't be much different, comparison wise, between Jumbo Cot's and regular Cot's, if they are infact, true jumbo's.

Last edited:
This is the setup.

Attachments

• IMG_3882.jpeg
    IMG_3882.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 29

Back
Top Bottom