Introducing one hen to another hen

FultonFarm

Hatching
Apr 18, 2017
Hello All -

We've been building a permanent coop over the past 6-8 months and it has been great. We incorporated the chicken tractor for some familiarity for nesting however we've since added a new nesting box. As beginners we didn't see that our hens were digging on one of the sides of the coop frame and a fox had dug on the outside and gotten in under the frame. We lost our "Gerty" and we were very sad. We got worried as we'd heard that our other girl, "Dot" might not lay as her environment has changed. It was always just the two for nearly 2 years and you never saw one without the other. They grew up together. We felt so bad thinking of her loneliness and have been investigating getting another hen.

Surprisingly Dot is doing OK and has continued laying so we are very happy however would like to introduce another friend for her and have another egg layer too.

I've heard so many different ideas on introductions...I've not really read about adding one hen to one hen? Pecking order and such makes me leery hence my reaching out to "the experts". We don't want to stress Dot out anymore than necessary.

I would be grateful for any suggestions or similar situations that have been successful.

Thanks so much!!

FultonFarm

Awesome links by Teila and Yorkshire Coop!
thumbsup.gif

Thanks Yorshire Coop -

Unfortunately I don't have the capability with our current setup to keep a hen "next to" but not have access to a nesting area. We just have the coop/run and nesting box. Also, since it's not a "flock" that I'm introducing one hen to, but only a single hen...not sure the degree or to what extreme this process will take. Some folks had mentioned introducing at night? Or even letting the two free range together and then watch and separate if any aggressiveness starts...also give meal worms to distract and appease while they get used to one another.

I love the ideas and the thread was great info so once we get ourselves established more we may add a second run to allow for this in the event it happens in the future...possibly?

Appreciate your help!

FultonFarm

Back
Top Bottom