Introducing "Piont of Lay" hens to 10 week old flock

I have never, ever seen any of that when introducing new birds. Nor have I seen it in my established flocks. It could be because they were confined and cranky already, or they felt crowded. If there is plenty of room and there are hiding places for the chicks, this should not happen.
MInes were adults.

I just went out to put them away for the night. The Chicks are all in their coop in a small secluded nest in the corner snoozing away, the adults are in the far corner of the actual run sat on a stone....

I had to grab our old duck house which is only 2x1 ft in size and get them all inside it... mainly as its getting very cold and I dont want any predators getting any ideas over night!.

Do you reckon then will be ok in something that small for one night? Ive knocked the floor out of it so its cold earth under them, but they have 4 walls and a felt roof in case it rains. In summer I would have left them in the run, but being winter its a bit cold and wet now. Im hoping tomorrow they will sort out their issues and start building bridges!

If I understand you right the point of lays are in the run on a rock. Why not just put them in the coop on the roosts? That is where they are suposed to be, right.

I didnt want to force them in incase they went after the chicks in an enclosed area. The house is big but not that big. Id rather they go in on their own when they choose to. Either way, in about 2 months ill have a very large rooster who will tell them exactly where they are sleeping! he is already half their size and only 10 weeks old

An update to my question.

All my chickens are together now and the tables have real turned since the Sussex became double the size of the brown hens. Unfortunately my 7 hens and a rooster from white Sussex turned out to be 5 roosters and 3 hens. 3 roosters have new homes now and I'm working on the 4th but the brown hens have sore wings and the skin looks inflamed from the roosters activities. Is there anything I can do to help them? They are still laying and happily running round but it looks sore.

Getting the flock down to one rooster is the best permanent solution. Saddles work to ease the problem. The bare spots bother us more then the hens unless the are getting cuts as well. The hens may have those bare spots till molt. Oh one other thing chickens can get sunburn. I assume that is why they are red and look inflamed.

Haha sunburn in the Scottish highlands, good one. They seem perfectly happy grooming themselves and they are roaming a good 300-400m all round the house with all the sheep so hopefully them will heal over the summer. Our neighbour just had a fox in their hencoup last night and it took 5 hens, 2 ducks and a rooster... So I've offered them my spare one if they want to repopulate. Very sad. I'm glad my custom coup is made to survive! Would need a crowbar to get in without unlocking it!

Scottish Highlands mmm. Guess your getting about what, 14 or so hours of sunlight about now? That's a lot of exposure to sunlight, even on a cloudy day. Alas for the tan loving chicken. They may turn red in the sun, the red never turns to a tan.

Cloudy! It's still snowing here haha!

On a side note, I think a stoat has been stealing eggs from my garden, do they pose a threat to my 6 loman, 3 white Sussex and 2 burly roosters? The area is filled with rabbits and lambs are everywhere, doubt they could take a lamb but I'm guessing a rabbit is easy prey. Could my roosters protect their girls? Would they team up ?

Back
Top Bottom