Introducing Roo's

lfoose

Songster
12 Years
Oct 1, 2007
Medina, OH
Hi,

Yesterday I picked up my chickens from the APL. They were running loose in Cleveland. There is a part of the west side of Cleveland that has alot of cock fighting and the APL is thinking these guys either got loose or were let loose. Anyway I was under the impression I would be getting a hen and a rooster. Well, they are two very pretty roosters.

Right now they are in the other coop for a while. They seem pretty healthy and are very talkative. They and my other roo have been crowing back and forth all weekend.

But I have a couple of concerns. All of my other flock are Banties. The new guys are obviously the standard chickens. Will the two different sized chickens get along? Also, will the standard roos do ok w/the other two roos I have? Any suggestions on how to introduce the four roos to each other w/out them murdering each other?

Thanks!

there is a lot of cockfighting where i live. i'm not sure i would mix roosters with that background in with my flock, honestly.

so are both rescue roosters in the same pen right now. i can't tell. if they are and they're getting along, that's good.

i'm not saying you can't keep them if you want to, but as far as mixing, i would be very careful. if that is where they did come from, they are used to fighting very seriously. if they are still alive, that means they've won.

both on a practical level and then later on a genetic level of letting them fertilize your eggs, there are things to consider.

take care

Back
Top Bottom