Introducing rooster to pullets-- older or younger roo better?

dreamgirl

Songster
12 Years
May 28, 2007
Hudson Valley, NY
Hi, I have 11 8 1/2 week old girls. I want to introduce a male. A friend of mine has a 1 year old rooster needing a home (she has several others and this one is trying to fight his way up), as well as some 10-11 week old boys I could choose from. My girls are currently in slightly tight quarters while their roomy coop is being built (they have a 18x8 outside run, but only a 2x3 box with 2 roosts for sleeping).

What are the pros and cons of a younger vs. older roo? Should I wait until the coop is done? (2-3 more weeks) How do I make the introduction? Should I have 1 or 2 roos? (I prefer 1 until I see how my neighbors react)

Thanks!
Morgen
a new chicken mom

Yikes, thanks. Any advice on how to introduce them? Pop him in and watch? He's currently with a group of 5 his age that was introduced two weeks ago to a group of 10 that are the same age as mine and all get along fine.

I would wait until you have the new coop built and more room for them to run around in and find an escape. My Brabanter roo was going after the girls and trying to mate at about 12 weeks. Boys will be boys !

if you have a small mesh cage use that to itroduce.
have the roo in the cage have its door closed put the cage in the coop and let them get to know each other through the cage. Then after a week open the door when you're watching then slowly leev it open when you're not right there. Finaly after a couple weeks take out the cage and leev the roo. Hope I helped.
smile.png

EM Chick,

Thanks. Do you think he'll be OK outdoors in a cage by himself (the brooder is in a fenced pen)? The nights are in the upper 50's to 60's.

Morgen

I have 23 six week old pullets. My roo was the same age as them but he was killed a week ago by a snake. I bought a full grown, 1 year old dominique roo to serve as my new flock protector. I'm keeping him away from my girls until the girls get older because he is to big and can hurt them without trying.

MY new roo was pecking and kicking at the girls so just be careful with them. I have only let him with the girls twice since I got him and I never leave him alone with them.

I have a 40'x50' chicken yard and I blocked off a section that is 7'x50' for him to stay in and he sleeps in a large dog house. Our nights here down south are in the 70's to 80's so he's fine and toasty at night.

Back
Top Bottom