Introducing Roosters

msqueen

Hatching
Dec 15, 2015
Before I got my polish pair, and my silkie pair, I had a silkie pair already in my coop. I brought home the 2 other pairs and those four got a long. However, the rooster I had already in the Coop did NOT get along with the other roosters. They fought until he bleed. I took the one silkie rooster out and put him in a smaller coop next to the big coop with the other rooster silkie. What can I do from here?

Before I got my polish pair, and my silkie pair, I had a silkie pair already in my coop. I brought home the 2 other pairs and those four got a long. However, the rooster I had already in the Coop did NOT get along with the other roosters. They fought until he bleed. I took the one silkie rooster out and put him in a smaller coop next to the big coop with the other rooster silkie. What can I do from here?

You have too many rooster and not enough hens. They will continue to fight. Decide which one you want to keep and rehome the others. Even though you have bantams, the ration is at least 8 -10 hens per rooster.

I agree with the above, too many roosters. And in this set up, your trouble is more than likely, just beginning. You would need separate coops and runs if you want to keep them all, and they need to be blocked off so that they can't see each other.

They really are not a pair animal, but rather a flock animal. One rooster to many chickens.

MRs K

You have 3 choices. 1. Pick one rooster for your hens and rehome the rest. 2. Build separate runs for each pair. 3. Build a bachelor pad for the males and house them separately.

As Mrs. K stated chickens do not form pair bonds. They form flocks with a dominant flock master (rooster) with a harem of hens. Extra cockerels of breeding age are driven off. Having 3 mature males in with only 3 hens is a recipe for disaster, even more so for the hens once spring arrives.

Back
Top Bottom