Introducing: The Hippy Chick Egg Farm

Here is an update on my flock of chicks. They are growing like crazy and I am truly enjoying them. They are flying all over my little brooder coop. I built them a small perch so they can have something to roost on when they get ready. It took them a day or so but they embraced it. I've seen some as high as the second rung. They still sleep under the MHP. The heating pad temperature is down to three now. Their feathers are coming in good so I wonder when will be time to turn the MPH off and let them roost.

perch.jpg

I also catch them looking out the wire door. They never did that before. I guess they are curious as to what is beyond their cage. They will learn soon enough.

So, the girl who never wanted chicks, who thought they were too much work, problematic, and too tedious to work with, is loving these little creatures. Getting baby chicks was definitely a good move!

Here is an update on my flock of chicks. They are growing like crazy and I am truly enjoying them. They are flying all over my little brooder coop. I built them a small perch so they can have something to roost on when they get ready. It took them a day or so but they embraced it. I've seen some as high as the second rung. They still sleep under the MHP. The heating pad temperature is down to three now. Their feathers are coming in good so I wonder when will be time to turn the MPH off and let them roost.

View attachment 2531054

I also catch them looking out the wire door. They never did that before. I guess they are curious as to what is beyond their cage. They will learn soon enough.

So, the girl who never wanted chicks, who thought they were too much work, problematic, and too tedious to work with, is loving these little creatures. Getting baby chicks was definitely a good move!

Wow! They are really getting big! And looking great! I would keep the heat in for them if they still are using it... and that’s a very nice roost!

So I'm starting anew. I had 7 beautiful chickens that I was super proud of. Within a couple of months, I had to cull my flock due to LT (Infectious Laryngotracheitis). My chicken yard has been cleared (by the state extension program) and now I'm ready to get started again. I ordered chicks from Hoover's and I received my email yesterday saying they are on their way. I am so excited as I missed the company and entertainment my previous flock had been.

So today is D Day minus 1... or should I say C Day -1... that's Chick Day. I updated my prefab coop to make it more study and turn it into more of a coop that can be used to brood these 15 new chicks.

This thread will be my blog as I document this journey. Sometimes, you just want to share with like-minded people. I hope you will follow along with me and my Hippy Chicks!

Good luck with these girls.

Back
Top Bottom