Introducing the Ideal Dozen

The Silver-Laced Cochins

Alfredo (Green Band) Yes, it's a male name for a girl, but my son likes Chicken and Broccoli Alfredo and continued by food-name tradition.
24.8oz, 2 fingers between legs
The whitest head and the most white in the lacing-to-be at this stage.
The friendliest, can be petted if approached calmly with food.
0716210931_HDR.jpg
0716210931a.jpg

Kabob (Purple band)
21.1oz, 2.5 fingers between legs
0716210934a_HDR.jpg

0716210934.jpg

Nugget (Blue band)
20.2oz (smallest in the flock), 2 fingers between legs
Twitchy, not struggling but won't hold still for photos
Darkest overall coloring
0716210936_HDR.jpg
0716210937a_HDR.jpg

I had a lap chicken tonight!

I was sitting in the run with the Bible app up on my phone doing my evening study when suddenly Chasseur jumped from atop a nearby piece of clutter onto my lap and was content to stay and be petted for a few minutes.

Then she got off and after a few minutes she came back again.

She tried to climb up and sit on my shoulder but I didn't allow it. I know from having cockatiels that the dominant bird perches highest so you never let a bird sit with it's eyes higher than yours.

She tried to climb up and sit on my shoulder but I didn't allow it. I know from having cockatiels that the dominant bird perches highest so you never let a bird sit with it's eyes higher than yours.
Good move!
Our cockatiel bit my 12yo sons eyelid, made it bleed, had to go to the ER.
Luckily just a small cut to lid and no damage to eyeball.

Good move!
Our cockatiel bit my 12yo sons eyelid, made it bleed, had to go to the ER.
Luckily just a small cut to lid and no damage to eyeball.

*nods*

I got pecked this morning. I can't really blame a chicken for taking the scab off an ant bite on my leg -- it's instinct for her to snap up something that might be a tasty bug -- but it hurt and, of course, there's the risk of infection.

I hope they don't start going for the age spots.

They actually went to roost inside their coop last night instead of trying to roost on the run clutter. Heavy rain convinced them to sleep indoors. :D

I will try to make improved roosting arrangements in there later this week when I have several days off and the weather forecast is good.

I managed to put a reasonable-height perch into the brooder/coop for them in hope of convincing them to go to roost in there instead of on the run clutter, which they preferred to their baby perches.

A few of them decided to perch there, but over half were out on the run clutter and had to be lured in with wet mash or even picked up and put in.

0724211525.jpg
0724211525a_HDR.jpg

Back
Top Bottom