Introducing the Ideal Dozen

Pics
She seems much improved tonight, but her vent still looks swollen.

0526211836.jpg

She's been cleaned and oiled.

Then I gave the whole baby flock wet mash with about a tsp of plain yogurt mixed into about half a cup of mash. I know I saw all of them eating so I hope it will do her some good.

0527211927j.jpg

0527211928.jpg

The little Langshan with the pasty butt seems to be doing better. I didn't have much cleaning to do and she was struggling so hard to get away from the wet paper towel that I couldn't even get a photo of her vent.

Here she is pushing her way into the crowd to get her fair share of the wet mash.

0528211305.jpg

They love their wet mash reward for having been caught and inspected.

0528211256.jpg

0528211303.jpg

This is the French Cuckoo Marans we've been referring to as "Big Spot". I have read that Marans are difficult to vent sex and would not be displeased if she turned out to be actually he.

0528211258.jpg

Look at the adorable tiny tailfeathers!

Oh, I almost forgot.

While we had little En Croute (the first of mine to earn a name), out for cleaning we spotted a little bug crawling on the empty feeder.

DS#3, who owns the Cochins, reached to automatically flick it off. I said to flick it into the brooder so they could eat it. Then I said, "No, wait. Hold it over here."

I held En Croute close to the feeder and she snatched the bug up right away.

:D

So, it's windy, threatening rain, and going down to 52 tonight so I'm going to pull out the big guns and put the 250w bulb in for overnight.

I've been worrying more about overheating but with this sudden shift in the weather now I have to think about them getting chilled.

Last edited:
This morning it's ~80-85 on the ground under the lamp and 60 in the corner away from the lamp (53 outside according to TWC -- my regular outside thermometer is in the brooder).

The 11-day-old chicks are not huddled but moving around actively on a dim, overcast morning ahead of a grey and unseasonably-chilly day (64 predicted on a day when 94 would be more normal).

I am currently more worried about my just-planted beans and cucumbers than about my chicks. :D

Back
Top Bottom