Introducing the Ideal Dozen

Pics
Those combs look like Blue's comb. Purple and En Croute both have combs twice that size.

Since my intentionally-ordered straight-runs were delayed until fall I was hoping for a "oops" cockerel. I was hoping that Marans Purple would be it because that's the one we called "Big Spot" as a young chick and Marans are supposed to be difficult to vent sex. I hadn't really thought about what having a Langshan rooster would be like in terms of my flock's future genetics.
I know you're probably going to be sick of all black chicks if you keep a black rooster. Lol. Add some more blue hens to your flock if possible, the blue cochin mix would be interesting. The second generation of your chicks will be beautiful.
I do love the sheen of my black hens.. they show green, blue, purple, and turquoise in the light.
My only experience, with langshan males, has been with easter egger/ langshan mixed cockrels. They were very calm, got along well with each other, and were TALL. Of course, their father was/is my blue easter egger, and he is huge (he is part blue orp) so I expected large males, 1/2 (2 of 4) have been blue, also.

I had an easy time rehoming all of my langshan mixed males because they were so big, pretty, and friendly. I stay in touch with the owners and all are happy with them. They are from 1 year to 2 years now.
I have only 1 hen from my older langshan. She is a cuckoo marans mix. She is beautiful, solid black, and lays the prettiest egg- a large, medium brown color, with dark spots. Her disposition is excellent.

I know you're probably going to be sick of all black chicks if you keep a black rooster. Lol. Add some more blue hens to your flock if possible, the blue cochin mix would be interesting. The second generation of your chicks will be beautiful.
I do love the sheen of my black hens.. they show green, blue, purple, and turquoise in the light.
My only experience, with langshan males, has been with easter egger/ langshan mixed cockrels. They were very calm, got along well with each other, and were TALL. Of course, their father was/is my blue easter egger, and he is huge (he is part blue orp) so I expected large males, 1/2 (2 of 4) have been blue, also.

I had an easy time rehoming all of my langshan mixed males because they were so big, pretty, and friendly. I stay in touch with the owners and all are happy with them. They are from 1 year to 2 years now.
I have only 1 hen from my older langshan. She is a cuckoo marans mix. She is beautiful, solid black, and lays the prettiest egg- a large, medium brown color, with dark spots. Her disposition is excellent.

Thanks. I had one Langshan hen in my in-town flock. She laid pixelated eggs.

IMG_0628.JPG

I'm a total sucker for feathered feet.

Unless someone jumps in to give me a reason not to, I'm going to make chick-sized openings in the enclosure today -- maybe in the evening -- and let them mingle with the big girls.

They've been in see-don't touch for a week now and I want to do this before they get too big for escape hatches to be effective.

Ok, they're out.

Only minor harassment so far. They had to run the gantlet of the Splits in order to get out in the first place and are being put into their place by the Ladies when they get into their space, but no chasing or bullying so far.

I opened 3 gates for them that I *hope* no one else can use.
0704211501_HDR.jpg
0704211501.jpg
0704211501a.jpg
0704211509a.jpg
0704211458.jpg

Ok, after about 45 minutes the Splits are definitely out to assert dominance, following the chicks around and making them move. The adults are only reacting if the chicks invade their personal space.

I will soon have to leave them while I make dinner, but I don't think it's going to get too brutal. I'd have waited another week but even now they're big enough to make hideouts difficult.

I was worried about getting them in for the night on their very first day out but all those batches of wet mash have been effort well spent.

I mixed up a couple, called "Mash! Mash!" a few times, showed them the dish, put the dish in the coop, and walked around to the pop door to close it. By the time I got back to the main door they were all inside.

I counted beaks and closed them up. :)

My son was able to lure some of his cochins in for petting by offering top-quality weeds.

0704212023a.jpg

Back
Top Bottom