Introducing the Ideal Dozen

Alas, we lost poor Kung Pao, the purple-banded Langshan cockerel.

In the chaos after my injury, he managed to spend Sunday night trapped between the chick-tight inner curtain and the electric netting (which was on). I found him hunkered down on Monday morning when I went to let the birds out. He seemed unusually docile when I rescued him -- normally he resisted any kind of handling. I put him down next to the waterer but was unable to provide any kind of special care or observation because I had to go to work.

DS#3 found him dead just before dinner. Thread here.

My speculation at this point was that spending the night alone getting zapped when he tried to move just overwhelmed him in stress and trauma. He's always been the least adventurous and most easily frightened of the group. :(

I absolutely CANNOT blame my 15yo for missing him when he shut them up for the night well after dark. I probably couldn't have seen a black chick in a dark corner either and it's very difficult to count chickens when half are going to roost in the coop and half out in the run clutter and some of the ones in the coop are in a cuddle pile instead of on the roost.

Alas, we lost poor Kung Pao, the purple-banded Langshan cockerel.

In the chaos after my injury, he managed to spend Sunday night trapped between the chick-tight inner curtain and the electric netting (which was on). I found him hunkered down on Monday morning when I went to let the birds out. He seemed unusually docile when I rescued him -- normally he resisted any kind of handling. I put him down next to the waterer but was unable to provide any kind of special care or observation because I had to go to work.

DS#3 found him dead just before dinner. Thread here.

My speculation at this point was that spending the night alone getting zapped when he tried to move just overwhelmed him in stress and trauma. He's always been the least adventurous and most easily frightened of the group. :(

I absolutely CANNOT blame my 15yo for missing him when he shut them up for the night well after dark. I probably couldn't have seen a black chick in a dark corner either and it's very difficult to count chickens when half are going to roost in the coop and half out in the run clutter and some of the ones in the coop are in a cuddle pile instead of on the roost.
:hugs

I managed to put a reasonable-height perch into the brooder/coop for them in hope of convincing them to go to roost in there instead of on the run clutter, which they preferred to their baby perches.

A few of them decided to perch there, but over half were out on the run clutter and had to be lured in with wet mash or even picked up and put in.

View attachment 2772786View attachment 2772788

Update on this:

It took a few days to make the transition, but for the past couple nights everyone has willingly gone to roost on the perch instead of out in the run.

No photo updates for the past 2 weeks because of my injuries but here they are at 12 weeks exactly. The photos are not so good because my helper has gone back to school and controlling 2lb chicks one-handed isn't as easy as controlling 6oz chicks that way. :D

Everroast, Dominique, purple band. 33.8oz
0811210904.jpg
0811210904_HDR.jpg
0811210904a_HDR.jpg

Chasseur, French Cuckoo Marans, green band, 30.3oz
0811210906.jpg
0811210906_HDR.jpg

Alfredo, Silver-Laced Cochin, Green Band, 28.9oz
0811210908.jpg
0811210908a.jpg
0811210908b.jpg

Kebob, SLC, purple band, 31.2oz
0811210910.jpg
0811210910_HDR.jpg
0811210910a.jpg

Ludwig (formerly En Croute), Black Langshan, I got a weight of 29.9oz but I don't trust it because he launched out of the bucket before the scale settled. I'll have to try to get him off the roost tonight. He's very solid in the hand so I think he has to be heavier than the smallest cochin. (Any tips on something better than a 5-gallon bucket for containing birds while weighing them?) No real male saddles showing yet -- he's only just finished feathering out, after all -- and he's not crowing, but I think there's no doubt that he's male.
0811210912.jpg
0811210912_HDR.jpg
0811210913_HDR.jpg

Provencal, FCM, blue band, 31.9oz
0811210915.jpg
0811210915a.jpg

Classic, Dominique, green band, 31.2oz
0811210918.jpg
0811210918_HDR.jpg
0811210918a.jpg

Buffalo, Dominique, green band, 31.2. Note female-appearing saddles.
0811210920_HDR.jpg
0811210920a_HDR.jpg
0811210920b_HDR.jpg

Sesame, Black Langshan, blue band, 31.5oz (another reason to doubt the weight for Ludwig because he's visibly larger than his breed-sister).
0811210922_HDR.jpg
0811210922a_HDR.jpg

Fricasee, FCM, purple band, 31.9oz
0811210924_HDR.jpg
0811210924a_HDR.jpg
0811210924b_HDR.jpg

Nugget, SLC, blue band, still the smallest reliable weight in the flock at 29.1oz. She feels light in the hand compared to Ludwig. The most docile and easiest to catch.
0811210926_HDR.jpg
0811210926a_HDR.jpg
0811210926b_HDR.jpg

We're going to be selling 3 of these birds, one each of the Cochins, FCMs, and Dominiques.

I'm not sure what factors to use to choose.

Among the FCMs, Chasseur is the lightest but the heaviest, Fricasee, is short on foot feathers.

In the Dominiques, I like the paler, clearer barring on Buffalo (that made us suspect her of being male), but she's middling in size and the smallest, Classic, is the friendliest and boldest of the entire group.

(My son will pick which Cochin to sell based on whatever criteria he cares to use).

When I went out to close up tonight I picked Ludwig off the perch and took his band off. I only have one cockerel so he doesn't need it and I was concerned that it might get uncomfortably snug without me noticing as I'm working more hours the next couple weeks since he's growing quite rapidly at this stage -- being taller than, though not as solidly built as, several of the adult hens.

It was non-traumatic. I just tucked him under my arm, captured the relevant leg, and used the end-cutter mini-pliers to do the job.

The difficult part was resisting the urge to pet him. :D

Back
Top Bottom