Introducing year old hens to a younger flock

sammirae09

Songster
7 Years
Jun 11, 2014
USA
My Coop
My Coop
I was able to get 6 one year old hens. 5 RIRs and 1 black Maran. My current flock is 4ish months old.

With them being older do I have to wait awhile to fully introduce them? They already lay eggs of course so I don’t want to have to keep them in the smaller outdoor pen for too long. They are bigger than my others

I have a couple roosters and then 5 hens currently. All around 4ish months old. I know integrating is always trickier with younger birds but these are much older

Attachments

• 015405A6-9FDD-46B8-926E-D6AB57DEB77C.jpeg
    015405A6-9FDD-46B8-926E-D6AB57DEB77C.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 23
  • 837270C4-593D-43AA-9014-C0D5BCA5D18C.jpeg
    837270C4-593D-43AA-9014-C0D5BCA5D18C.jpeg
    665.3 KB · Views: 16
You have more than doubled your flock, and your original birds are not quite full grown. I don't know if you did the math, but you really need a good size coup and run.

If they are sharing the same air space - quarantine is a moot point. To quarantine correctly is very difficult. You may have just gotten lucky.

However as to your question, you have 7 birds, on their home turf , New birds little older, but in a new place, basically the same amount. I would add them all at once, and watch. I would expect a lot of chasing, a lot of mini battles. a dust up or two. Let those go. I would do this as late in the day as possible - as the urge to roost is as strong as the urge to fight. I would do this when I have a couple of days, that I can check on the set up frequently.

If they are getting pretty tough or ganging up on one, a blast or two with a squirt gun, can help. Removing the meanest one for a few days can help. Lots of hideouts, roosts, platforms, multiple feed bowl.

But I have done this several times, and never had too much problems.

Mrs K

You have more than doubled your flock, and your original birds are not quite full grown. I don't know if you did the math, but you really need a good size coup and run.

If they are sharing the same air space - quarantine is a moot point. To quarantine correctly is very difficult. You may have just gotten lucky.

However as to your question, you have 7 birds, on their home turf , New birds little older, but in a new place, basically the same amount. I would add them all at once, and watch. I would expect a lot of chasing, a lot of mini battles. a dust up or two. Let those go. I would do this as late in the day as possible - as the urge to roost is as strong as the urge to fight. I would do this when I have a couple of days, that I can check on the set up frequently.

If they are getting pretty tough or ganging up on one, a blast or two with a squirt gun, can help. Removing the meanest one for a few days can help. Lots of hideouts, roosts, platforms, multiple feed bowl.

Mrs K
My coop size is large so I have room for them. I just didn’t know because they are older if I should wait a couple weeks or if just a week would do since they’re all necessarily around the same size.

I plan to when it’s time introduce them on a weekend so I can keep watch and make sure things go smoothly and things don’t get out of hand

How did it go? I have a similar situation right now. Will be adding 6 one year old laying hens to our existing mixed breed/sex flock of 14 that are also 14 weeks old and quite large at this point. Our plan was to quarantine nearby the coop/run for a week and then let them free range, all together, later in the day. They are coming with their own coop, so we also thought we'd placing them in the big coop (108 sq ft) with our original flock at night so they will wake up together the next morning after the quarantine.

Mrs K
I am in a similar situation and posted below. I am curious what you think of our plan?!?

How did it go? I have a similar situation right now. Will be adding 6 one year old laying hens to our existing mixed breed/sex flock of 14 that are also 14 weeks old and quite large at this point. Our plan was to quarantine nearby the coop/run for a week and then let them free range, all together, later in the day. They are coming with their own coop, so we also thought we'd placing them in the big coop (108 sq ft) with our original flock at night so they will wake up together the next morning after the quarantine.
I introduced them along the flyway for a week and a half. I finally braved mixing them and all in all it’s been fine except 2 bullies, I separate the bullies along the flyway for 2 days at a time during the day till they finally figure out how to quite being bullies hahaha but all in all there was the normal pecking and what not and it’s been fine for over a week now except like I said the 2 bullies

I introduced them along the flyway for a week and a half. I finally braved mixing them and all in all it’s been fine except 2 bullies, I separate the bullies along the flyway for 2 days at a time during the day till they finally figure out how to quite being bullies hahaha but all in
I am in a similar situation and posted below. I am curious what you think of our plan?!?
the
the only thing I had to for sure do was build like a rooster condo off the main coop because my 4.5 month old rooster will not accept the new girls since he’s protective of the girls he grew up with. He can see them through the flyway but can’t attack anyone

the

the only thing I had to for sure do was build like a rooster condo off the main coop because my 4.5 month old rooster will not accept the new girls since he’s protective of the girls he grew up with. He can see them through the flyway but can’t attack anyone
Interesting! Thanks for replying. We have a rooster too and might end up with the same complication. Would also love to see what the rooster condo and flyway looks like if you can share pics.

Interesting! Thanks for replying. We have a rooster too and might end up with the same complication. Would also love to see what the rooster condo and flyway looks like if you can share pics.
Side note he’s still mad at the girls hahaha he kicks at the fencing in between them every single day like he can kick them or something it’s funny but I didn’t want to get rid of him I’ve had him since he was a little chick

Attachments

• 0BCB1F68-51F7-49A4-A772-D51E850BE8D5.jpeg
    0BCB1F68-51F7-49A4-A772-D51E850BE8D5.jpeg
    703 KB · Views: 13
  • AFC05AE5-DED0-4E4F-A7F7-41BDAE3AA450.jpeg
    AFC05AE5-DED0-4E4F-A7F7-41BDAE3AA450.jpeg
    660.3 KB · Views: 14

Back
Top Bottom