Introducing young pullet to adult hen?

Impatient

Songster
Aug 29, 2017
GA
I have a hen named Red who has been an only chicken since she was about 12wks old (lost her friends to a hawk, long story) and she used to be a house chicken. After building her a secure coop and run she's since been moved outside and I got a young pullet (8wks old) to be her friend while I also have two EE chicks brooding. To introduce them I put the pullet in a dog crate inside the run for a couple days to let them see and get used to each other. When I released the pullet, Red did the expected and chased and pecked at her (no blood or anything) but it scared the little pullet so bad that she's hiding in the coop full time and hasn't eaten ot drank water unless I physically put her in front of the feeder and waterer and keep Red at bay. How long should I let the pullet hide in the coop? Should I be taking the pullet out of the coop to eat and drink or should I wait her out until she's hungry enough to venture out?

Attachments

• 20210426_123638.jpg
    20210426_123638.jpg
    762.8 KB · Views: 15
  • 20210426_123948_HDR~2.jpg
    20210426_123948_HDR~2.jpg
    725.2 KB · Views: 12
Is photo 2 the total width of the run? You're going to have integration issues as the new bird can't safely pass by the older bird without getting in her personal space, which will trigger her to chase.

I also don't see any clutter at all, to help break up the space and provide hiding places. Adding an extra feeder/waterer will also help to prevent resource guarding. https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/a-cluttered-run.1323792/

Is photo 2 the total width of the run? You're going to have integration issues as the new bird can't safely pass by the older bird without getting in her personal space, which will trigger her to chase.

I also don't see any clutter at all, to help break up the space and provide hiding places. Adding an extra feeder/waterer will also help to prevent resource guarding. https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/a-cluttered-run.1323792/
Yes. My run is only 33" wide, 12' long. How can I better "clutter" up a smaller space? I don't have room for pallets and the like... I have added another feeder in the coop for the chick. I was hoping that since the coop and run are new to Red as well that she wouldn't see it as "her space" just yet.

Last edited:
Well things went better today! Had the chick in the crate for a few hrs and when I let her out Red let her eat and drink without any bother. Hope this means she's getting used to the pullet, but could just be because I was supervising...
20210428_154351.jpg

20210428_154554.jpg

Yes. My run is only 33" wide, 12' long. How can I better "clutter" up a smaller space? I don't have room for pallets and the like... I have added another feeder in the coop for the chick. I was hoping that since the coop and run are new to Red as well that she wouldn't see it as "her space" just yet.

Think small for the clutter. Something like a small, simple wooden table like this can break up the space a little, but the surface on top is also usable to put a feeder on, or just to allow one bird to jump up to get away from another. Avoid any items that just eat up floor space, because you don't have a lot to work with.

smtable.gif

Back
Top Bottom