Introduction: Kevin Freeheart

Kevin Freeheart

Hatching
9 Years
Oct 21, 2010
New Hampshire
Hey folks.

I've considered raising chickens for a while but never really got around to it. I'd done a lot of research, including lurking here for a while and knew what I wanted to do (size of my flock, breeds, et cetera) and it always ended up on my back burner.

At some point though, two hens wandered over to my property, presumably from a neighbor's yard. I let them roam around for a bit and munch on the plentiful bugs on the property here. After a few days, I noticed they hadn't left.

So I posted a flier at my local store (small town) about "found chickens" and asked some of my neighbors. None of them had missing chickens, even ones they'd written off to predators. I got no replies from the flier.

So, without trying, I got some chickens of my very own! Even more spectacularly, they're Buff Orpingtons, which is what I was planning on starting with anyway.

I just got my first bag of feed for them and as silly and simple as it is, I'm very excited now.

Come spring, I plan to expand my flock but I'll let these gals plod around for a little and do more research. They're not laying so I treat them more as pets than producers and I have a lot of fun watching them.

Lucky you! I know a guy who found a really pretty Blue Laced Red Wyandotte rooster out in the parking lot, in the rain. He felt sorry for it and took it home. But he thinks it is a blue cochin...I saw it in his yard and called him to see if he had any hens or chicks, but sadly, he doesn't. It is definitely a BLRW and very pretty!

Chickens are quite magical.... all you had to do was think about them and POOF they appear in your yard.
welcome-byc.gif

My guess is, by this time next year, you have over a dozen chickens and will be thinking about a bigger coop!
big_smile.png

Thanks for the welcomes!

My guess is, by this time next year, you have over a dozen chickens and will be thinking about a bigger coop!

On this property, I'll have to keep my flock below ten. I've got plenty of land here for a bigger flock but the terrain sucks. If seeing what these hens do is any indication, the USABLE land I have is a lot smaller.

I do plan on purchasing the house across the road though come spring, so a bigger coop and flock is VERY possible if everything works out.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom