Introduction of new roo??

Gersbud

Songster
12 Years
Apr 25, 2007
Central Michigan
smile.png

Well since the death of my little roo Rudy yesterday on my the neighbors at my barn told me that I could have choice of her Polish roos. She felt bad since Rudy was my daughters favorite chicken. But my question is how do I introduce the new roo.
And will the new roo hurt the hens. I have about 24 Standard size birds which are all mixed. Have EE, BR, LW,LB,SS,BA,WR,RSL and 2 banty golden lace polsih. I have a pen that is attached to the chicken run. I use it to keep pheasant. Should I keep him in there for a few days. He will be with them but there is a fence in between so he can't get to them.

When bringing in a new chicken you need to quarrantine it away from you main flock for 4 - 6 weeks. Even living just a mile away every chicken has its own immune system built up an carries different germs and bacteria that could be fatal to your flock.

Please read here https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=30851

After
the quarrantine you can out him in the pen along side your hens so they all get used to seeing one another. After a week or two put him in the main run with the hens. They may not squat for him initially. He will have to earn his place as the flock leader and head roo. Some hens can be mean and not let him be the boss for a while.

Sounds like a plan to me Miss Prissy.
I have one question though.
Could the queen hen and her little hench hens acutally kill him if he is a little smaller then they are. Because I know that my hens are a heavier breed then the roo they are getting.

Thanks a bunch Miss Prissy.
The info that you gave to me will help a great deal. I would want to give the new roo a death sentence at the hand of a bunch of hens.
He is going to be a Standard Black Polish but he is a frizzle.
Don't know what happened there becasue the neighbor only has reg black polish. No frizzle of any kind in sight

One more question
It shouldn't make a difference if the roo has never been with hens does it. He is going to be a year old in the summer.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom