Introduction Tips?

CookieChicken18

Chirping
7 Years
Feb 6, 2017
I have 6 hens and 1 rooster in my chicken coop right now, and I need to introduce 3 pullets (they turned 2 months old on Sunday) to the flock. We put them in a large cage in the coop and had them get to know each other for a few days. I let them out in the coop together and it was a disaster. The other hens went up and started to peck them, and the rooster tried to mount one and pulled out several feathers.

I don't think I'm doing this right. I've introduced flocks before and everything went smoothly. Am I doing something wrong? Thanks!

We kept our chicks (one male one female) in a separate cage until they were old enough to defend themselves - they had started getting their adult feathers and losing the fluffy ones.

We then put them in a larger cage on the grass and (after they had settled down) put one of the flock in the cage with them so that they would only have one to worry about. Gradually, we introduced all the chickens to them over a couple of weeks.

Then, we put them in with a couple of chickens in the flocks run for a short period of time and gradually built it up.

Another thing we did was put two houses in the run. That way the chicks could go into a separate place to the flock.
After a few days, we noticed that our female had gotten lost and was not in the house with the other chick or in the run - she had followed the flock into their house. From then on, they were fine with each other despite the expected occasional pecks.

Pecking is usual - they need to show their running order. And although it may seem too much or too harsh to us, it is how they show that they're the boss.

I hope it was helpful. Good luck!!!

We've taken a very slow approach to introducing new chickens. First we house them separately in the same building, where they can hear but can't see one another. We typically hold at that step for a month. Then we let them see one another through fencing. Once they have become disinterested in one another, we let them free range together. Only then do we try to put the two groups together. So this takes about 6 weeks, but has worked well for us.

I think you may just need to slow down a bit. Give those little girls some time to get big enough to defend themselves and then try a slower process. I've found that with many animals, introduction is much easier if they can smell/hear/see one another first without having physical contact. So you tried that, it didn't work, I think you just need to be patient. Animals are unpredictable, and sometimes we have to adjust our strategies because of the specific personalities involved. Past success is not a predictor of success with your new batch of chickens!

How old are the 6 hens and 1 rooster?

Yes, it takes more than a few days.

Integration Basics:
It's all about territory and resources(space/food/water).
Existing birds will almost always attack new ones to defend their resources.
Understanding chicken behaviors is essential to integrating new birds into your flock.

Confine new birds within sight but physically segregated from older/existing birds for several weeks, so they can see and get used to each other but not physically interact.

In adjacent runs, spread scratch grains along the dividing mesh, best if mesh is just big enough for birds to stick their head thru, so they get used to eating together.

The more space, the better. Birds will peck to establish dominance, the pecked bird needs space to get away. As long as there's no copious blood drawn and/or new bird is not trapped/pinned down and beaten unmercilessly, let them work it out. Every time you interfere or remove new birds, they'll have to start the pecking order thing all over again.

Multiple feed/water stations. Dominance issues are most often carried out over sustenance, more stations lessens the frequency of that issue.

Places for the new birds to hide 'out of line of sight'(but not a dead end trap) and/or up and away from any bully birds. Roosts, pallets or boards leaned up against walls or up on concrete blocks, old chairs tables, branches, logs, stumps out in the run can really help. Lots of diversion and places to 'hide' instead of bare wide open run.

This used to be a better search, new format has reduced it's efficacy, but still:
Read up on integration..... BYC advanced search>titles only>integration
This is good place to start reading, BUT some info is outdated IMO:
http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/adding-to-your-flock

Another thing that we have learned is to put something they know (maybe a toy or light or bowl) in with them so they don't feel completely out of place.

Try to have a place in the run where the chicks can get to but the flock are too big to. If you are doing this, put the chicks in the run on their own first, so that they know that space exists

Sorry I haven't been on the site in a while! I made a different thread with my current struggles but long story short, they are in the same coop but they are not accepting eachother. Thanks for all the advice though!

Here's the thing about having more than a single thread on the same topic - it's confusing. It's time wasting. These threads become a "library" of sorts for people in years to come who are searching for answers to similar problems.

A single thread on your topic will garner all sorts of terrific advice and solutions from folks who have years of experience. Some of these threads can be practical handbooks of valuable information. A thread is not just your own personal request for help. It will be around for others to learn from for a very long time. A duplicate thread often is halted once people are on to the fact there's another thread, thus the info contained on one may not resolve the issue.

In future, stay on your original thread, even if you've been away for a while. You benefit. Others benefit.

Back
Top Bottom