Introduction to Flock

Everything google search related said 8-12 weeks....it sounded old so I came here!

Your post was very insightful thank you!

Yeah well sometimes Google is your best buddy and sometimes your worst enemy. I've found that it's usually the times I don't know about something and decide to Google it that I get stabbed in the back

@aart has it right!
I do the same, and it's fine. mine start going out first, so they get some outside time (I do free range when possible), then the birds all go out at the same time, and I watch.
This year, that first night outside with everyone, I had to herd the youngsters into their coop area after the adults were settled in. After that one time, everyone goes in, the littles into their original area, and I lock them inside for the night. In a few days I'll leave all the interior doors open overnight, and see if the seven week old babies can sort it out themselves in the morning. They know to get out of the way of the big birds!
And we have a bigger coop, out of sight areas, and multiple feeders and waterers.
Mary

I start the process at 5 weeks. While the adult birds are out free ranging, I close the door to the run, and open the pen the new birds are in. I let them explore the coop/run, figure out where the food and water is, stuff like that. Week 6 is when the true integration begins. I open the pen again, and the little ones come rushing out while the old ones come rushing in, trying to get to the baby food. So the only adult birds left in the adult coop are usually the lower ranking birds, which accept the chicks with only a few serious pecks. I do these short interactions for a few more days, and then one night I leave the pen the little ones are in open. By morning I usually find them hanging around the back area of the adult coop. I let the big birds out to free range and let the young 'uns explore. By this point we've reached week 7, where i open the baby pen for good. Attacks, pecks, chasing, are all very expected things, and as long as they're not excessive (as in drawing blood or targeting a single chick) I let them be. My first post was more intended to answer the question of what establishing the pecking order should look like, sorry I didn't understand what you were asking

Could you describe proper pecking order behavior? And when I should be concerned?
It's normal for hens to chase or peck at younger birds. As long as the younger ones have the opportunity to eat and drink, and no serious physical injury is occurring (a few torn out feathers is ok, bloody wounds is not) then I consider it acceptable.

FYI I also integrate early, with chicks having full daytime coop and run access with adults around 2 weeks old, and moving in 100% at night around 4 weeks old.

Back
Top Bottom