Introduction - Very green chicken owner

LABElle1225

Songster
Jun 23, 2018
Hello!
I am Jennifer from Lakeville, Michigan - North Oakland County / Metro Detroit Area.
I reside on 10 acres with my elementary age son, husband, 4 chickens, and almost 2 year old Catahoula Leopard, Rebel.
I found this site after a epic tragedy yesterday involving 4 chickens and a gut feeling my husband may not have enough information about raising chickens.
My husband has no experience raising any type of livestock, their lot was 40’x40’.... But has ALWAYS wanted chickens and ducks. He has caught, hunted, and hung everything from red snapper to cinnamon bears. I have a feeling he will be an asset protecting the flock.
My experiences with chickens may upset some folks but as a child you can’t object much. My great aunt and uncle had a extremely large chicken farm operation in Southern Ohio. This was prior to many changes in the industry. The catching and carrying 10 @ a time, procedures necessary prior to sending out for butchering, and crating. It’s a completely different program.
We moved to our current home another 6 months ago from a subdivision near Lake St. Clair judy over 15 Miles north of Detroit.
My husband and son adopted 8 chicks from TSC during their chick promo. 2 solid colored butterscotch yellow (one rooster), 3 black and white, 3 a medium to dark solid brown.
We agreed I would handle the puppy and those 2 chickens...
That about sums us up. Anyone willing to check out my photos, be super critical, be a detective, and offer up some feedback - please check my next post LOL I think it needs to be in the raising a flock section not here. I know we can do this better but I need help.

Thank you! I’m hopeful. I’d never met a chicken with a name :( Somehow Butterscotch melted my heart. She followed me all over the place. Eventually I started putting her in a shallow laundry basket so she could keep me company while doing chores. My husband knew I was very against having chickens and double freaked when the feathers he found were yellow. I’m probably going to end up a chicken lady LOL

Hello!
I am Jennifer from Lakeville, Michigan - North Oakland County / Metro Detroit Area.
I reside on 10 acres with my elementary age son, husband, 4 chickens, and almost 2 year old Catahoula Leopard, Rebel.
I found this site after a epic tragedy yesterday involving 4 chickens and a gut feeling my husband may not have enough information about raising chickens.
My husband has no experience raising any type of livestock, their lot was 40’x40’.... But has ALWAYS wanted chickens and ducks. He has caught, hunted, and hung everything from red snapper to cinnamon bears. I have a feeling he will be an asset protecting the flock.
My experiences with chickens may upset some folks but as a child you can’t object much. My great aunt and uncle had a extremely large chicken farm operation in Southern Ohio. This was prior to many changes in the industry. The catching and carrying 10 @ a time, procedures necessary prior to sending out for butchering, and crating. It’s a completely different program.
We moved to our current home another 6 months ago from a subdivision near Lake St. Clair judy over 15 Miles north of Detroit.
My husband and son adopted 8 chicks from TSC during their chick promo. 2 solid colored butterscotch yellow (one rooster), 3 black and white, 3 a medium to dark solid brown.
We agreed I would handle the puppy and those 2 chickens...
That about sums us up. Anyone willing to check out my photos, be super critical, be a detective, and offer up some feedback - please check my next post LOL I think it needs to be in the raising a flock section not here. I know we can do this better but I need help.
INTRO 76.jpg
1194610-fa6c82b73dd5829fc6acafd6a2529984.gif

Hi Jennifer and welcome to BYC.
On this link you'll find lots of information on almost every aspect of keeping birds - from coop building ideas, to incubating eggs - https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/

There’s a link on the page above to the Learning Centre - it’s a great resource. If you have a specific topic in mind, just type it in the search box - there's a wealth of information on past and present threads.

Each week, various topics are discussed, which can also be a great resource - https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/topic-of-the-week-thread-archive

Here’s a link to general links and the different forums on BYC - https://www.backyardchickens.com/misc/quick-navigation-menu

You can use this link to contact members in your area - Find Your State Thread

Best wishes

Pork Pie

Back
Top Bottom