Introduction

Gwenygirl

Hatching
Jul 19, 2016
Hellos everyone, I have been keeping chickens for a couple years now. I bought books on care and upkeep. I have had fun and success with my layers. But this past weekend, I noticed that Greta has huge belly and it was red. I looked on Internet for causes and what to do. The best info out there is this community of chicken livers. Greta has egg yolk paratinitis. I found out how to treat and help her. Penicillin shots started yesterday. Over the weekend warm soaks, vent flush with cool water. I have been giving her vitamin water with syringe so she stays hydrated. Yesterday fed her baby applesauce with molasses and yogurt. She ate it all. I found all on this site! Thank you

welcome-byc.gif
glad you have joined us but sorry about Greta's problem.

Sound like you have things under control. Hope the antibiotic works and she improves daily.

Hi and welcome to BYC! Sounds like you're taking great care of her. If you have any other questions, always feel free to ask-- I'm sure anyone would be glad to help. Good luck and thanks for joining us!
smile.png

Thank you to everyone for welcoming me. This is the website that has helped me out with info on what could possibly wrong with my chickens, also for everyday care info.

It is with heavy heart that I must say Greta passed away this morning. There were very positive signs that she might beat the egg yolk paratinitis, she was taking water, eating some yogurt with baby applesauce with molasses. I gave her a warm soak this morning, put her back in her kennel to rest, she had a seizure and died. She went fast! I know she was hurting and now is at peace

It is with heavy heart that I must say Greta passed away this morning. There were very positive signs that she might beat the egg yolk paratinitis, she was taking water, eating some yogurt with baby applesauce with molasses. I gave her a warm soak this morning, put her back in her kennel to rest, she had a seizure and died. She went fast! I know she was hurting and now is at peace

So sorry for your loss.
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom