Introduction

ImaCLinTX

Chirping
Mar 26, 2018
North Texas
I am a chicken newbie. I have been soaking up everything I can from BYC. I bought chicks 3/8 & 3/9 from local feed store and Tractor Supply - I think they were all hatched 3/1 - 3/5. I bought 2 Dominiques, 2 gold sex link, 2 Easter Eggers from feed store then 2 brown & 2 black Sussex from Tractor Supply. They are now approximately 3 weeks old and I am surprisingly very anxious now to find out how accurate the sexing of pullets is. There are 2 that I have rooster concerns about so we shall see. I bought a homemade coop online from someone no longer raising chickens and have just set posts to build the run. Depending on weather I hope to move them to the coop in a few weeks but my understanding is that it is better to keep them in there a week or two before letting them in the run so they know where home is. (I welcome thoughts on that). I am hoping this will be a fun experience for my little granddaughters too. We live on 2 acre lots and my neighbor has lost all of her chickens (free range) so I hope my run will be predator proof. Mostly hawks (we have a large owl too) although we have plenty of coyotes. I also have concerns about our hot Texas Summers but if we make it through that then hopefully eggs by Fall.
IMG_3354.PNG
IMG_3355.PNG
IMG_3434.jpg

G'Day from down under ImaCLinTX :frow Welcome and Congratulations! :clap

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

BYC has Topic of the Week discussions which I have found to be a great resource, informative and sometimes entertaining; so definitely worth checking out. A couple which may be of particular interest to you are:
Topic of the Week - Raising Chicks
Topic of the Week - Keeping the Flock Safe from Predators

Your little ones are adorable! If you would like to share Pictures and Stories of them, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out ;)

You might want to also Find Your State Thread and pop in and say hello.

You may be interested in these links also:

Sounds like some bad predators, build a good strong run for your birds with a top. If you have a solid one it can provide some protection from the elements, shade and keep climbers and raptors OUT.

Please follow Teila's link to finding your state thread. You may even find BYCers living near you. Plus they can best answer that breeds handle the climate, what type of coop build is best - where the best feed stores etc. are.

Back
Top Bottom