Introduction

Dazz172

Chirping
Nov 6, 2018
NSW, Australia
Hi, my name is darren I'm 32 and I have recently purchased 3 young Rhode Island Red chickens, got them at about 21 weeks old atleast that's what the seller said the age was have had them for a few weeks now and they are incredibly friendly, they were quite large wen we got them and they have had their beaks trimmed which I'm a little disappointed with as I thought that was only done in the commercial industry?? And I don't think it needed to be done?? Anyway they have quite a large pen which connects to large run that goes the length of the backyard fence and every after noon I let them out to wander around and peck hehe. Being new to owning chickens I will have a lot of questions for every1 here. Great to meet you all and look forward to chatting

alexa009

Crossing the Road
Apr 6, 2017
Texas
My Coop
My Coop
Welcome to Backyard Chickens Darren! We are glad you joined the flock!:welcome BYC is a helpful site providing all the information you need to know about poultry! There is always space for more members on the BYC roost!:highfive: Are your Rhode island red pullets laying any eggs yet? They are notable for their high egg production. Hope you enjoy it here as much as we all do!

[email protected]

~ Dreaming Of Springtime ~
Aug 18, 2017
Caliente Nevada
Hiya :frow
Nice to meet you!
I would guess that your hens came from a battery.
Mass production of eggs they still practice beak trimming. I think it’s so cruel. One thing I tried with my hens (they’re not trimmed) was to soak their feed!
Omgosh why didn’t I do this sooner! It was 20 degrees this morning and I wanted to offer something “warm” I soaked the pellets over night zapped it in the microwave. They absolutely loved it.
You might want to do this for your girls too. I imagine it’s hard to manage with part of their beaks gone.
Good for you for taking them in. Best wishes
Nice :welcome

Last edited:

Top Bottom