Introduction

Dazz172

Chirping
Nov 6, 2018
NSW, Australia
Hi, my name is darren I'm 32 and I have recently purchased 3 young Rhode Island Red chickens, got them at about 21 weeks old atleast that's what the seller said the age was have had them for a few weeks now and they are incredibly friendly, they were quite large wen we got them and they have had their beaks trimmed which I'm a little disappointed with as I thought that was only done in the commercial industry?? And I don't think it needed to be done?? Anyway they have quite a large pen which connects to large run that goes the length of the backyard fence and every after noon I let them out to wander around and peck hehe. Being new to owning chickens I will have a lot of questions for every1 here. Great to meet you all and look forward to chatting

Welcome to Backyard Chickens Darren! We are glad you joined the flock!:welcome BYC is a helpful site providing all the information you need to know about poultry! There is always space for more members on the BYC roost!:highfive: Are your Rhode island red pullets laying any eggs yet? They are notable for their high egg production. Hope you enjoy it here as much as we all do!

Hiya :frow
Nice to meet you!
I would guess that your hens came from a battery.
Mass production of eggs they still practice beak trimming. I think it’s so cruel. One thing I tried with my hens (they’re not trimmed) was to soak their feed!
Omgosh why didn’t I do this sooner! It was 20 degrees this morning and I wanted to offer something “warm” I soaked the pellets over night zapped it in the microwave. They absolutely loved it.
You might want to do this for your girls too. I imagine it’s hard to manage with part of their beaks gone.
Good for you for taking them in. Best wishes
Nice :welcome

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom