Invermectin Oral Paste 1.87% - What is Correct for Gapeworm?

That is what we used for standard adult chickens, what I describe as 2 BB's worth, but I also said not to take it as gospel, just that is how we have done it here for years, till recent times. Never had any adverse reactions from any of the birds from that is all I know. And that dosage was gleaned from research I did on the internet years ago before I wormed the flock for the first time when they were two years old. It would be less for smaller birds, of course.

Quote:
x2
I've wormed my adults chickens before with regular Zimectrin which is 1.87% ivermectin paste. I then switched to Zimectrin Gold which is 1.55% ivermecitn paste and praziquantel for tapeworms with no problems. I dont use them anymore...as a matter of fact they expired long ago and that's when I also switched from safeguard paste to valbazen.

Quote:
Thanks. I was thinking of my silkies. They don't weigh much.
big_smile.png

OK, so we came up with a "pea size" bit of the paste, mixed it with a bit of water into a thick slurry, and gave it orally with a dropper. That was Tuesday. The bird continued to look OK, and seemed to be eating and drinking, and yesterday . . . laid an egg! It looked normal, inside and out, with normal shell strength. I tossed it out after inspection.

My thought was that is she can produce a normal looking egg - for the first time in many days - that must be a good sign. She is staying on Sulmet in her water for another couple days, and will get a re-dose of Invermectin in a couple days to catch any larva, etc.

I am feeling optimistic!
big_smile.png

I thought panacur/safeguard/fenbendozole is what took care of gapeworms and not Ivomec. I was just reasearching it a few wks back. Can anyone actually verify that Ivomectin works? I've lost faith in that stuff with all animals except for mites anymore.

Putting it on a treat is a good approach; at the time, our bird was not receptive to eating even the kinds of treats she would normally be interested in. So this was part of our challenge - getting medications delivered to the right place, when the bird is not voluntarily eating or drinking much, if at all. Thus the forced method.

I still don't know if the problem was/is a respiratory infection, or gapeworm, but I think our treatment plan is designed to cover both.

Quote:
At the beginning of the wikipedia article (who writes those? Individuals?) it says Ivermectin is "often used" but doesn't mention if it's effective. Down towards the bottom under treatment it's not even listed, although Panacur/Fenbendazole is.
I'm just not sold on Ivomec for worms. Just because "everyone uses it" doesn't mean it works. That's just my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom