Equimax 1.87% paste question

awagnon

Songster
11 Years
Dec 3, 2012
Gainesville, TX area
I am needing to treat my girls for mites/lice/worms and saw a video that a guy used the Equimax 1.87% paste diluted in water and applied 1 cc to each of the chickens necks/backs. He wouldn't give the amount of paste/water ratio and I can't find any info on this anywhere.

Has anyone here done this and would you be willing to share the dilution ration to convert the oral paste to a liquid topical solution?

I don't want to give this to the girls orally as I don't want to waste a lot of it trying to get it into their mouths. They are not very cooperative when I try to handle their little faces. lol Any other kind of petting/handling is fine with them, but t any he little stinkers draw the line at their faces. This is all I have on hand right now and can't buy the Pour on type right now so I wanted to try to use what I have on hand.

Any tips/tricks would really be appreciated.

Do not give it on skin, it is an oral medicine. Give it undiluted. Equimax horse paste paste treats tapeworms at an oral dosage of 0.03 ml per pound of weight, so 0.16 ml for a 5 pound chicken. Give it once and again in 14 days.

Here's a thread on it. See the link within too.
Well I can tell you right now, THAT is not gonna be possible for me to do by myself given the way my girls get even when I try to touch their combs or wattles. They are little troopers with everything else, but will NOT let me touch their heads. When I had to treat one of my girls combs with BluKote it was EVERYWHERE and all over me for days. ugh If I can't use what I have, I will have to figure something else out. 😞

Well I can tell you right now, THAT is not gonna be possible for me to do by myself given the way my girls get even when I try to touch their combs or wattles. They are little troopers with everything else, but will NOT let me touch their heads. When I had to treat one of my girls combs with BluKote it was EVERYWHERE and all over me for days. ugh If I can't use what I have, I will have to figure something else out. 😞
Do it at night. Just wear a head lamp or take someone with you with a phone flashlight and pick them right up!

Do it at night. Just wear a head lamp or take someone with you with a phone flashlight and pick them right up!
I don't know what I am doing wrong, but I tried doing checkups on them last year at night. Went out about 2 hours after dark so I could be sure they'd be sleeping. The headlamp I had on woke them ALL up, despite the fact that I could barely see with it. I thought one of the girls broke their wing from all the hysterical flapping and flying. She was ok in the morning though. I really don't want to relive the chaos that ensued from them being startled.

It's just crazy that I can usually handle them without incident during the day pretty easily and they even jump into my lap for pets if I sit down in the run, but NOOOO way can I even go near their little faces without them freaking out. Crazy critters. It's just me here and I don't have anyone nearby to help out. Thanks for the information and tips, though.

I don't know what I am doing wrong, but I tried doing checkups on them last year at night. Went out about 2 hours after dark so I could be sure they'd be sleeping. The headlamp I had on woke them ALL up, despite the fact that I could barely see with it. I thought one of the girls broke their wing from all the hysterical flapping and flying. She was ok in the morning though. I really don't want to relive the chaos that ensued from them being startled.

It's just crazy that I can usually handle them without incident during the day pretty easily and they even jump into my lap for pets if I sit down in the run, but NOOOO way can I even go near their little faces without them freaking out. Crazy critters. It's just me here and I don't have anyone nearby to help out. Thanks for the information and tips, though.
Please read posts #2 & #4 in this link: A red lens on your flashlight will help, or an ultraviolent flashlight. I use a small ultraviolet flashlight.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/worms-in-chicken-poop.1575508/#post-26765905

I do know about a red light not being so disruptive to sleeping birds, and plan to purchase one in the future, however I don't have one right now and can't make any new purchases at all for a while. I am trying to use what I have on hand and don't understand why people who put out videos showing what they are using (same stuff as I have) and saying they dilute it in some water and apply to back of their necks won't give the dilution ratio. If they did, I could take care of this today. Guess they are afraid of getting sued or they are not really doing what they say they are. Who knows. It's so frustrating. I will figure some other way of getting it into them since I can't go near their faces without a major freak out. I know my limitations and won't risk breaking one of my girls necks while I am holding their heads trying to get their mouths open.

I do know about a red light not being so disruptive to sleeping birds, and plan to purchase one in the future, however I don't have one right now and can't make any new purchases at all for a while. I am trying to use what I have on hand and don't understand why people who put out videos showing what they are using (same stuff as I have) and saying they dilute it in some water and apply to back of their necks won't give the dilution ratio. If they did, I could take care of this today. Guess they are afraid of getting sued or they are not really doing what they say they are. Who knows. It's so frustrating. I will figure some other way of getting it into them since I can't go near their faces without a major freak out. I know my limitations and won't risk breaking one of my girls necks while I am holding their heads trying to get their mouths open.
You might referring to Ivermectin Pour On. Ivermectin Pour On is a liquid and is placed on bare skin on the back of the neck. It is absorbed into the bloodstream and kills bloodsucking mites. It is also supposed to kill worms. There is no dilution ratio using Ivermectin Pour On.

I used to use Ivermectin Pour On years ago on my chickens.
From past experience, I can tell you that Ivermectin Pour On does not eliminate all types of poultry roundworms due to overuse of the product for external parasites rather than internal parasites.

I've used alot of different wormers over the years and I can tell you that Benzimidazoles are the way to go when worming poultry. They are safe for the chickens. Most importantly, there isnt any wormer resistance to either Valbazen nor Safeguard (Benzimidazoles.)

Ivermectin pastes and injectables; it's all the same results as the Ivermectin Pour On, simply not reliable killing poultry worms. The only time I use Zimecterin Gold or Equimax is when my birds are infected with tapeworms. Both of those products contain Praziquantel. Praziquantel kills tapeworms in poultry, not the Ivermectin.

If you want to mix a wormer in water for your birds to drink, I highly recommend Levamisole.
Put the Levamisole treated water out for your birds before letting them out of the coop early in the morning. It must be their sole source of water to drink throughout the day. The reason you put it out first thing in the morning is because your birds will be thirsty after being cooped up all night and will readily drink the treated water.
Here's where you can purchase the Levamisole. Follow the directions on the label:
https://jedds.com/products/laying-hen-wormout-solution-no-withholding-period-on-eggs-vetafarm

You might referring to Ivermectin Pour On. Ivermectin Pour On is a liquid and is placed on bare skin on the back of the neck. It is absorbed into the bloodstream and kills bloodsucking mites. It is also supposed to kill worms. There is no dilution ratio using Ivermectin Pour On.

I used to use Ivermectin Pour On years ago on my chickens.
From past experience, I can tell you that Ivermectin Pour On does not eliminate all types of poultry roundworms due to overuse of the product for external parasites rather than internal parasites.

I've used alot of different wormers over the years and I can tell you that Benzimidazoles are the way to go when worming poultry. They are safe for the chickens. Most importantly, there isnt any wormer resistance to either Valbazen nor Safeguard (Benzimidazoles.)

Ivermectin pastes and injectables; it's all the same results as the Ivermectin Pour On, simply not reliable killing poultry worms. The only time I use Zimecterin Gold or Equimax is when my birds are infected with tapeworms. Both of those products contain Praziquantel. Praziquantel kills tapeworms in poultry, not the Ivermectin.

If you want to mix a wormer in water for your birds to drink, I highly recommend Levamisole.
Put the Levamisole treated water out for your birds before letting them out of the coop early in the morning. It must be their sole source of water to drink throughout the day. The reason you put it out first thing in the morning is because your birds will be thirsty after being cooped up all night and will readily drink the treated water.
Here's where you can purchase the Levamisole. Follow the directions on the label:
https://jedds.com/products/laying-hen-wormout-solution-no-withholding-period-on-eggs-vetafarm
well I was not using it for worms, but for a lice/mite treatment the wormer part would be more of an extra as I haven't seen worms in their droppings. Some of my girls have a case of mites they probably ALL will before I have the funds to get anything else to treat them, ugh. I wanted to use the dilution of the Equimax paste because that is what I have right now and I saw videos of people diluting the paste in the syringe applicator and applying it to the backs of the birds' necks for mites/lice/worms. Again it is very annoying that they put out these dang videos and then don't give anyone any info on how to mix per weight. Kinda makes me want to leave a snarky comment on their video and thumbs down them, but I'm just gonna move on and not watch those people anymore.

I'm bookmarking this thread because it looks like I need to stock more than just the Equimax medicine for my chicken first aid kit. Hope my girls are OK until I can get something that I can apply topically or add to their water for this issue.

Back
Top Bottom