Iowa Blues - Breed thread and discussion

I've loaded up a some photos and would welcome critique on three of my five that were hatched I think 1/29/13.
The photos aren't the best; IBs are about as hard to photograph as a hummingbird.

First up, is a birchen pullet that to me, has a nice body type in general. There are two photos.
I have another pullet like her only slightly smaller.

Next is a fine fellow who sort of rules the roost more or less until one of
the pullets puts him in his place. 3 photos of him. I have another K slightly smaller with a
less striking tail. This boy has a bodacious tail! In the 2nd photo take note of the pullet in the
background...it's the one pictured above I think.

And then I have this one that I believe to be a pullet, my one and only
Silver Penciled Iowa Blue. 3 (blurred) photos. I hope you can see enough to comment.
I'm very anxious to have your honest opinion on this one.

Well I may be biased, but they look good to me! Too bad your SP girl is camera shy, I'd like to see the front of her
big_smile.png
You have a pretty decent start on a flock there.

I took these with my iphone. the flash was freakin' some of them out; others tried to eat the camera. some tried the great escape. I'll shoot 'em again in a couple of weeks with a regular camera. Do they look about the right size for being nearly 7 wks old?

Dan, your birds are coming along quite nicely! I especially like the silver head and hackles that your silver is developing. Her silver looks like it's reaching to the very end of her hackles, and that is exactly what you want to see. As far as size goes, I'd say they are looking like they are where they should be.

I enjoy seeing everyone's birds as well as being able to watch them develop. I'll try to get some picks sometime soon when the weather warms up some and get them posted for you all.

Quote:
Yes, They will still darken up but I think this may be an indicator he is split for Birchen. I think Rex is ER/e+ or I would not have hatched the yellow chicks. My black hens are ER/ER, ER/eb. or ER/e+ and my silver hens are eb/eb or eb/e+. I really don't think I have too many with e+ or we would see more of them. In this latest hatch I have one chick with some pretty sharp stripes, but I'll probably see more in the next generation.

Looks, too, like your birchens have got good lacing for their age. A nice start on a flock, I'd say. They look to me to be similar in size to mine at that age.

Thank you Kari, Curt, and Connie for your comments.

I appreciate your taking time to look at the pics even though they are not all that good quality, from my iphone. I'm more encouraged about the chicks these days. At first, I was thinking about scrapping the project, but now I'm rather gung ho about it. As soon as I'm back from my trip and I can get a handle on the busy spring, I'll be able to get more pens ready, and then I'll be looking forward to doing more with the IBs.

Dan

Dan, definately give them time to grow and fill out. You will appreciate them more and more as they continue growing. They will start to transform before your eyes, particuarly in color.

Back
Top Bottom