Iowa Blues - Breed thread and discussion

I bet Connie is all over this as I type
big_smile.png

This is the solid chocolate that Curt covets so much. It will be VERY important to see what this one looks like as it grows.
Here are my latest SH chicks:

A lot of mine look like this. I would guess the yellow may indicate they carry the gene for gold, but I'm not sure.

I have no idea what this is. It looks a little like the yellow ones I hatched, but can't see enough in the picture to be sure.
I was surprised to see so much yellow in these chicks.

I am certainly interested in feedback on all of these pictures.

LOL, was thinking the same thing, "Kari is probably all over this".

Interesting mix, huh?

Solid chocolate chick - likely an eb without pg
Yellow chicks - betting on some E+ in those, not quite the same as Kari's chicks, but very similar in coloration.
Some nice silver penciled guys (eb/pg) in there...

Looks like Sandhill battles the same genetic mix that we do.

eta: Kari, did your yellow chicks have that lack of pigment of the beaks and legs? Wonder if Glenn outcrossed again or if some other chicks made it into the box by mistake?

This one is interesting, almost makes me wonder if it's an E+/eb or something. Looks kind of quasi yellow chick/quasi SP.

2aae9453_SHIaB3a.jpeg

Last edited:
I will be zip tieing them today so I can tell them apart as they feather. I heard via the grapevine that SH did have to out-cross but I do not remember what they supposedly out-crossed with.

Here are some updated shots of my "yellow" chicks.
Pullet - she definitely shows the red in her breast characteristic of e+. Beautiful red lacing. And pale legs.

Yellow pullet on the far left, yellow cockerel in the center. So far I don't see yellow on him, so I think he's pure for silver.

Another shot of him

SP cockerel.

Spartacus.........a SOLID CHOCOLATE CHICK!!! Kari, you know me too well!!! I'll be quite curious to see how it develops. Be sure to keep these guys marked.

If looks lik Sandhill's mottled chicks are lighter in color than I remember, and are certainly lighter than Kari's mottled chicks. I think the color of mottling that the majority of Kari's chicks possess is closer to what we're looking for.

Great updates on pictures! I'm going to have to get into gear and get pics of my birds up here~

Regarding Glenn's outcrossing- he put a Silver Penciled rooster of Silver Campine and Fayoumi hens, then took the F1's and bred them into his Iowa Blues. According to him, he made limited breedings and selected hard for Iowa Blue type and color. It seems his stock is quite varied in chick down color. Don't know if that's a good thing or not. Some accounts said the chicks varied in color, some said they weren't as varied.......

Ok, everyone, the time has come! The Iowa Blue Chicken Club membership is being called to vote on the final edition of the Iowa Blue Standard. Just this one final step and we'll have ourselves an official breed standard!

wee.gif

By April 1st (hopefully), we'll be all official and ready to roll.
highfive.gif

Feel free to bop to the website and vote here:

http://www.iowabluechickenclub.com/vote-here.html

(members only)

yippiechickie.gif
yippiechickie.gif
yippiechickie.gif
yippiechickie.gif
yippiechickie.gif
yippiechickie.gif
yippiechickie.gif
yippiechickie.gif

Madam Secretary,
I did my civic duty and voted.
yippiechickie.gif
I just wanted to pass along that I voted to accept the Standard but when I hit the submit button, it told me to correct the highlighted areas...the highlighted area was the comments box. I put three periods in the comment box and submitted it again. It was accepted at that time. As I read it, comments were only needed for a Nay vote. I just wanted to let you know so folks don't miss it or in the off chance that for some reason the poll thinks I voted No.

Thanks again for all the heavy lifting.

Back
Top Bottom