Iowa Blues - Breed thread and discussion

Discussion in 'Exhibition, Genetics, & Breeding to the SOP' started by Hurley, Mar 21, 2011.

1. Hurley

Hurley Egg Of A Different Color

Mar 17, 2010
    Palmyra, WI
    My Coop
    "You have to build the barn before you paint it." Well said.

Where the strongest culls are coming from for me:

1) Slow feathering - I cull, reason being, as a homestead breed, it is preferable to grow fast and cover fast to withstand the elements.
    2) "Bantam" IBs - cull - sporadically in the chicks, I get some that are notably smaller than the rest. Though I don't mind throwing the pullets in the egg laying pen for eating, I cull them from the breeding flock. Trend towards a slightly larger bird, as the breed could use a little more size, but not excessive to hinder their survival skills.
    3) Poor condition - cull - still will get some that mature too skinny dispite having access to feed. Though I don't want a huge, heavy bird, I do want some good condition.
    4) Egg size and shape - when I get some more numbers up to production, the ones laying smaller eggs and round eggs will not get incubated. I've got some now that lay eggs that don't form a smaller point, which increases odds of pipping in the wrong end. I want to select towards larger, egg shaped eggs.
    5) Retaining the "hypervigilance" trait that is so important towards their ability to defend and detect predation.

Then with these, if I have the luxury, in my next round of culls:
    1) Autosomal red
    2) Gold carriage
    3) I would like to focus on the Silver Pencilled, though I'll keep some birchen and work towards a nice variety in that, the larger numbers will be SP.

Finer points from then out:
    1) Working towards heavier lacing
    2) Dark eyes and legs
    3) Tail - eliminating squirrel tail and likewise working back to the medium length upright tail as some are trending towards too long at this point.
    4) Uniform comb size, working towards a medium comb
    5) Blue sheen/appearance
    6) Selecting towards our image of the ideal pattern in the hens.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2013
  2. WVDan44

WVDan44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    MD
    Hi Jake - That's a great attitude re: showing, advancing the breed etc. As I stated earlier, a comb is worth 5 or less points in the scheme of things when being judged, so who cares about that now unless we start getting rose combs or something so far off as to be alien to our standard. Even a superior sp roo with a rose comb stays in my yard; I'll just go on record now as saying it LOL. I doubt we will ever see that combination though.

Dan

3. karimw

karimw Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Eastern IA
    I agree with you Jake! This year I am going to be more careful about selection for function. Now that I have some to choose from I can afford to do that! [​IMG]
    Easter Hatch

[​IMG]

Here are some shots from this morning of my New Years Day hatch.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Hurley

Hurley Egg Of A Different Color

Mar 17, 2010
    Palmyra, WI
    My Coop

5. karimw

Apr 7, 2010
    Eastern IA
    I think those yellow chicks turned out beautiful! The bottom rooster with the spangles is the yellow cockerel.

6. spartacus_63

spartacus_63 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Central Iowa
    Chick update
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    So cute! How many did you get in all?

8. spartacus_63

spartacus_63 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Central Iowa
    Six Iowa Blues.

9. karimw

Apr 7, 2010
    Eastern IA
    Looking good! I forgot about the chipmunk one. I had another in my last hatch too.

10. Jake Levi

Jake Levi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2011
    Harrisville, MI
    Great pics ! I love them. Everyone on this page could be labled an Icelandic. The colors and patterns are so common among them.

I'd guess roughly half the Icelandic chicks are chipmunks.

In any case these little ones are going to be fascinating seeing them develop.

I can hardly wait for my own flock !

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by