Iowa Blues - Breed thread and discussion

Sure, you want some? This round looks like I've got some with quite a bit of yellow on them. I've got 3 pullets held back from NYD hatch that I want to cross to the silver cockerel. Trying to decide if I wanted to hold back a cockerel from the mix, but the few I had from the last batch didn't quite have what I wanted in coloration, so I'll see what I get this time around.

Currently out on my Easter hatch:
11 Iowacana F1s
7 Birchen Iowa Blues out of the new rooster
7 Olive Eggers
1 Lavender Ameraucana (LF)
2 Marans (1 blue, 1 black)
3 Silver Sussex

Totally different subject, but my old rooster entered the fridge tonight and is currently marinading in a brine. I've been reading Coq au vin recipes this afternoon, thinking I need to try it out. :) Didn't have the heart to put Bart in freezer camp with him, he gets the pardon, again. For goodness sakes, he greets us every morning, crowing in the patio door window waiting for breakfast. LOL The old man, however, though never mean to a human, was awfully hard on every other bird out there.

You folks sure have some interesting projects going on ! Who is doing a bantam IB laying blue eggs ?? I'd like a trio of them !

Kari you can move my eggs to the first week of May if that helps on your other requests. I have plenty of projects going on here. I am building brooder pens all this month it looks like. I do want the eggs though !

I am picking up another trio of Icelandics this spring so have to give them separate quarters. Its going to be a very chicken spring here in Mikado MI.

I hope that you all achieve what you are working for. I'd love to see more pics of the Iowa Blue crosses along with the IBs.

I have been reading over the standard on the website and I really like it. I am aiming for the SP myself, but will keep any wheaten hens I get for sure.

It is fun Jake! and educational too. I used the results of crosses to help learn the genetic make up of the Iowa Blues. I have had expected results and some surprises too.
F1 hen - black AM/ SP IaB

F2 Black Iowacauna/Birchen Iowa Blue Roo

2 F2's the one above and a blue IaC hen/Birchen Roo.

Thought this would be the best place to come with this question. I have posted this rooster in other places and our general conclusion is that he is an Iowa blue. I got him out of a bin of assorted heavies. I looked at personality and physical characteristics of other Iowa Blue's and he seems to fit right in. Could you guys please help me clarify if he is good as a pet, breeder, or show bird? Right now he is just one of the roosters.

He is only 6 months old. The tie out was to keep him and my other roo from fighting. The other roo is gone now.

He does look like an Iowa Blue, looks like a Birchen with a little gold leakage in the saddle from the younger photo. Hard to tell much about his conformation in the photos, but he looks like a nice boy with good substance to him.

What sort of photos would you need to be able to judge him properly. I know it couldn't be a perfect judging because you can't touch him, but I would like to know. I am very interested in this breed, even though I seem to have stumbled up on him. From what I have read they are perfect for my area.

A more bird's eye view of him would be helpful, a straight side shot and a shot from the front, standing square if possible rather than moving, head and tail up, but not crowing. :)

LOL, trust me, I know it's easier typed than done!

Examples: (not touting these as ideal birds, but positioning is good for examining coloration and type)

Back
Top Bottom