Iowa Blues - Breed thread and discussion

Discussion in 'Exhibition, Genetics, & Breeding to the SOP' started by Hurley, Mar 21, 2011.

1. StelleKitten

StelleKitten Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2012
    Granbury, Tx
    Turns out he was very cooperative. I took lots of pictures. I hope this helps tell more about him. Sorry his comb looks rough but he and my other roo (jersey giant or black australorp) have been discussing who gets the hen. I tied his leg to the front pole to help control him a little better. It's a bit windy out so sometimes his feathers got fluffed wrong.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. karimw

karimw Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Eastern IA
    He really does look like an Iowa Blue to me. Originally they were a self sufficient dual purpose brown egg layer designed to fair well in Iowa. If you'd like more information on them, check out the website in my signature.

3. StelleKitten

Jun 27, 2012
    Granbury, Tx
    I've read what I can on the site, but was trying to figure out if he would be disqualified. I couldn't find out what the disqualifications were. I do know his comb seems to have one more point than the standard. I was wondering if that would disqualify him for shows.

4. karimw

Apr 7, 2010
    Eastern IA
    The breed only has the standard DQs, and there isn't anything in the standard so far that would disqualify him based on color. We all have the same "fault" problems right now with gold instead of silver, autosomal red, light colored eyes and legs, white on the earlobe, etc. We are just trying to clean out all the imperfections introduced by earlier cross breeding to save them. It fun to be a part of that, you should get some more [​IMG]

5. StelleKitten

Jun 27, 2012
    Granbury, Tx
    I'm going to, where should I get hens for him from? Or eggs to hatch?

6. WVDan44

WVDan44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    MD
    Hi StelleKitten,

you may have started a new trend. What shall we call it...chook on a cord, chicken on a string, or rooster on a rope? Funny to see your boy tethered like that. I recall many years ago some gamecock fighters who kept all their birds tied by a leg and each one had a small hut for shelter. [​IMG] You'd see this yard with dozens of these little dome shaped huts that all together looked like giant mushrooms or something.

Your bird does look like an IB and aside from the light dusting of gold which is prevalent in the breed at this time. It's not easy to comment on flaws from photos but just know that we have a recently adopted Standard Of Perfection that you can use to compare to your fellow. in the coming years, we will be working to elevate our IB stock to the level of our SOP.

In judging by the Standard Of Perfection of many breeds, the comb only accounts for 5 points of a possible 100, so yours shouldn't have an issue with that.

7. karimw

Apr 7, 2010
    Eastern IA
    Quote:I am still getting plenty of eggs - PM me if you are interested.

8. Hurley

Hurley Egg Of A Different Color

Mar 17, 2010
    Palmyra, WI
    My Coop
    Updated photos on the silver chicks and oddball red.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 1, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  9. Hurley

Hurley Egg Of A Different Color

Mar 17, 2010
    Palmyra, WI
    My Coop
    I apologize for not updating the IBCC website yet, but the vote has ended and the new Iowa Blue Standard passed with a nearly unanimous positive vote. :)

I will get it updated when my new computer gets here. My laptop is currently sidelined with a wrecked power supply or motherboard. Seems like the hard drive is fine, thank goodness, but means I can't do much for a little while here except when I can steal time on someone else's computer. LOL

Hope all is going well for everyone and if you email me and I don't get back quickly, this would be why. ;)

10. Jake Levi

Jake Levi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2011
    Harrisville, MI
    Great thread ! have been busy so havent checked in for a couple of days.

I love the pics ! Keep them coming please.

A number of comments: First, no need to apologize for the website Madam, its excellent as it is for information, update at your leisure.

Before I forget, again, re Red. To the best of my knowledge Red is a recessive , in chickens, and all mammals. If a red parent is bred to a red parent all offspring will be red, if bred to a nonred the offspring will color like the non red parent, but all offspring will carry the red as a recessive. The same holds true when it shows up in a pattern. It will breed on as a recessive.

At this time in the Iowa Blue restoration fine points, such as points on the comb to me arnt worth even considering, let alone DQ. Plenty of time/generations for that.

The first things to be considered should be overal hardiness for an Iowa type climate, egg and meat production. This is a homestead breed, not a show bird with fine points. Even if they are showy, the first job is as a homestead production bird.

To me, those are the first and prime things to consider culling for. If, the parents are good on those, then look at overal coloration, and to me that means having a SP rooster with as many hens with that as possible. Points on the comb are really fine points to consider for future generations. When possible pick a rooster with the required points, but dont disqualify one if it is superior in other traits just because of the comb points.

My two cents worth.

I think the Iowa Blue is in for a good year with all of the dedicated folks focusing on the breed.

I am really looking forward to seeing maturing birds in my chicken house this fall.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by