Iowa Blues - Breed thread and discussion

Got a question. Big surprise huh? : ) On the IAB site, we've got a file in the education section for traditional color expression. So ignoring the fact that all the adults are standing differently, etc. and looking just at the tails, which tail set best shows the 'ideal' for the IAB? Not picking on those birds at all, they're all gorgeous! But there are 3 very different tail angles shown and I was wondering which we should recognize as being the 'correct' one. Or even ranking them 1-2-3 in terms of 'ideal'. thx!

It can be hard to capture the proper tail angle in a pic! Haha as I'm sure most have experienced by now..... That said, to answer your question bekkanblue, the Silver male and female are closest to the Standard of each sex presented in that document. In those pics, the Charcoal pullet hadn't reached maturity yet and in some lines the young stock will have a very flat tail until they've reached their adult molt. The Smokey hen was very excited during her 'photo session' and so you see her tail all splayed out.

Often times, birds who have the appropriate tail angle, 70 decrees, in a relaxed state will have a tail that shoots up to 90 degrees when they are excited, or running in the yard, or chasing a cat, or whatever else seems entertaining to them at that time. Hope that helps some.

It can be hard to capture the proper tail angle in a pic! Haha as I'm sure most have experienced by now..... That said, to answer your question bekkanblue, the Silver male and female are closest to the Standard of each sex presented in that document. In those pics, the Charcoal pullet hadn't reached maturity yet and in some lines the young stock will have a very flat tail until they've reached their adult molt. The Smokey hen was very excited during her 'photo session' and so you see her tail all splayed out.

Often times, birds who have the appropriate tail angle, 70 decrees, in a relaxed state will have a tail that shoots up to 90 degrees when they are excited, or running in the yard, or chasing a cat, or whatever else seems entertaining to them at that time. Hope that helps some.
You hit the nail on the head Curt! Tail angle is the most frustrating thing to capture in a photo! I am also finding that male tail angle changes as they age. At 6-7 months they look about perfect, but when they start building some ego, their "normal" angle can be way over the top!

You hit the nail on the head Curt! Tail angle is the most frustrating thing to capture in a photo! I am also finding that male tail angle changes as they age. At 6-7 months they look about perfect, but when they start building some ego, their "normal" angle can be way over the top!
I think that's an issue with all breeds having the high tail angle. I grew out some Langshans once (standard tail angle 75 degrees I think), and the ones that appeared perfect early on ended up squirrel tail, and the ones I thought were dragging too low turned out the best.

Amen to that! My avatar is of a six month old cockerel whose tail angle was near perfection, but now, after months of foraging from daylight to dark and competing for the attention of the ladies, his tail angle is has gotten higher. In fact if you watch the males going about their daily adventures, you will notice they change their tail angles slightly according to the posture they assume at any given time.

I was going through my Facebook feed this morning and while checking some of the farm groups I belong to, I come across a comment that "there is only one variety of the Iowa Blue and people are ruining this breed." LOL I had to share.

I was going through my Facebook feed this morning and while checking some of the farm groups I belong to, I come across a comment that "there is only one variety of the Iowa Blue and people are ruining this breed." LOL I had to share.

Yes, I was part of a similar conversation, but the over all impression, is that the IBCC club is doing it right :)

Yes, I was part of a similar conversation, but the over all impression, is that the IBCC club is doing it right :)
I haven't been around since the inception of the IBCC but it appears the various factions that are inherent in any breed club have decided to work cooperatively rather than arguing until there are winners and losers (who leave or form competing clubs). I hope I'm right because its refreshing.

I haven't been around since the inception of the IBCC but it appears the various factions that are inherent in any breed club have decided to work cooperatively rather than arguing until there are winners and losers (who leave or form competing clubs). I hope I'm right because its refreshing.
We have to have a good team if we are going to get anything accomplished!

Back
Top Bottom