Iowa Chicken Nooby

IowaChickenNooby

Chirping
May 24, 2019
Hello all, my name is Ryan but you can call me Iowa if you prefer. I am 27 and have just entered the world of backyard chickens about 5 days ago. I have many questions and hope to share the knowledge I acquire over time with others who may be in the same position I used to be in.

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?

I am completely new. I purchased six baby chicks 5/20 which was 4 days ago. The chicks themselves were only 4ish days old.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

I currently have five. Originally I had purchased six but the smallest one started sneezing on day two or three and sadly I found her stiff as a floorboard about an hour ago. Unsure what caused this ... I will make a separate thread over that though. All five of the others are doing fin and peeping away.

(3) What breeds do you have?

All are egg layers, let me see if I remember the names lol. I have two Cinnamon Queens, two easter eggers, and one Black Barred Rock (there were two but one passed due to the aforementioned respiratory issue).

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?

To be completely honest I just love animals. In my 27 years, I have had snakes, dogs, scorpions, insects, fish (even had a piranha), bunnies, not a fan of cats but did help raise a lost kitten once, rats(love rats as pets), amphibians, turtles, and others that escape me at the moment.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

Currently, I am a full-time Masters student of Science in Information Technology. I enjoy computers/IT, designing and building websites (including ones just like BYC!), target shooting, fishing/boating, computer gaming, sarcasm, and making improvements to my own property. Again, there are others that escape me but you have gotten the gist of it.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

The only child to a single parent, bout all you will get out of me on that matter. I currently have an Aussie Shepherd/Siberian Husky mix named Eris alongside my 5 baby chicks (should I name them?). Currently, I am a full-time student.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D

I have only just learned about BYC, probably about three days ago. I was googling tutorials on how to care for baby chickens, identifying health issues, brooder pen needs, when and what treats are feasible for the babies (I love giving them, and the begging dog, treats). I began to notice that it was this forum that I kept returning to through my google searches. The forum and its members seem to be a great repository of information and upon finding the sickly chick passed away I decided to make an acct.

If you have any questions for me or notice that I have failed to provide any introductory information please let me know. I look forward to learning from the members here.

Hello, Ryan, welcome to Backyard Chickens! :woot Congratulations for becoming part of the flock!

I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your chick with the respiratory issue. Hopefully members in the "Emergencies and Diseases'' forum will provide helpful advice.
Did you purchase these chicks from a feed store?

Hello, Ryan, welcome to Backyard Chickens! :woot Congratulations for becoming part of the flock!

I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your chick with the respiratory issue. Hopefully members in the "Emergencies and Diseases'' forum will provide helpful advice.
Did you purchase these chicks from a feed store?

Yes, I had gotten them from Farm & Fleet. I called them about it and they say they have not lost any. The chick would sneeze at night and breathe with its mouth open like it was gasping. I would assume inferior genetics and being exposed to so many new pathogens between the store and my home are the culprits. It was runty and smaller than all the others. I have since raised the light a little because I noticed they were all sleeping in the furthest corners and added a fan angled towards that room to increase fresh air.

Back
Top Bottom