Iowa chicken novice

pollofrio

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 17, 2014
Hello Everyone,
I have thought about having chickens for several years and finally at the urging of my daughter and daughter in law I now have 10 golden comet pullets. Have been building my own version of the "classy A-frame chicken tractor" to house them. We live on 3 acres of land that was previously zoned agricultural so although it is now annexed into the suburbs of Des Moines, we can still have some "farm animals." Pollofrio means cold chicken and after the harsh winter we just had, I thought it an appropriate profile name. I will need some advice on keeping the birds warm next winter. I would welcome any other advice, do's and don't's that a new chicken owner should know. I just bought a bucket type nipple waterer and my pullets instantly figured out how to use it without any training. Still feeding the bag of chick feed. Will switch to layer crumbles when that bag is done. Would like to know what else to add to the regimen--oyster shell, grit etc.
Thanks

Welcome to the flock, sounds like you are doing the right things. You have some smart girls that learned to use the nipple waterers - some have a terrible time with that. The Raising backyard chickens forum above probably has answers to most of your questions, the side tabs(on the right) cover food and water, and other issues.

Alright
welcome-byc.gif
great to have you joining the BYC flock
frow.gif

BYC has a very useful learning center
caf.gif

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! You've gotten some good suggestions above. This is a thread from this winter that has a lot of good winterizing tips on it https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/822765/winter-is-coming-checklists-tips-advice-for-a-newbie With the food, most commercial brands say you want to start Layer food after the birds are 18 weeks (because of the extra calcium), if they are late layers some people wait to see the first egg. You can feed them chick starter or starter/grower until then, or switch from starter to a grower at 8 weeks and then to Layer at 18. Most people offer oyster shell on the side in a small bowl etc all the time, the hens will eat some if they need it. Grit can also be offered in a bowl, but if the birds free range or you are using sand that has pebbles in it for bedding they will find their own.

Back
Top Bottom