Iris the Super Broody, her chicks and her Sister Hazel (Pic Heavy)

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by lockedhearts, May 18, 2010.

1. lockedhearts

lockedhearts It's All About Chicken Math

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    I got Iris and Hazel about 22 days ago. Iris came to me broody, her and her sister Hazel went into a seperate mini coop all to their selves, I shoved a bunch of eggs under her and she sat.
    Day 18 was friday, her last chick hatched this morning, she has 9 chicks and is an awesome Mama. Hazel is co-existing with them just fine.

Iris & chicks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hazel
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Moxiechick

Moxiechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2010
    Maine
    Very Nice! The chicks look so small! Are they bantams? I love the little black mohawk on the one. [​IMG]

3. lockedhearts

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    Quote:They are all LF, they just hatched last night & this morning, I was really surprised she brought them out of her nest this soon, but I guess it was warm enough and she was ready to do some walking after sitting for so long.

4. Noncentzter

Noncentzter Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2009
    Southern Oregon Coast
    What breed is Iris? She is very pretty!

5. lockedhearts

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    Quote:She is a mix. I think part Barred Rock, Part EE. Her and Hazel are from the same hatch

6. Lolita

Lolita Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2008
    FL
    [​IMG]

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Iris and Hazel hatched here, two very happy accidental crosses, EE roo x BR hen. Iris has been broody several times a year. I sold them when downsizing a couple years ago and now they're living with Karen. Iris is just the best mama and Hazel has brooded chicks at least once.

8. lockedhearts

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    Quote:They are getting along very well. I hated to split them up since they have always been together so figured Hazel would be fine with Iris and Chicks.

9. sandiklaws

sandiklaws Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

10. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Iris is a beautiful hen! I love the little white one with the huge muff and the black stripe on it's head! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by