Irish Wolfhounds and chickens?

Lone Wolf

Chirping
7 Years
Jan 9, 2013
I wanted to know if anyone here has or has had a Irish Wolfhound and chickens? If so how has it worked out? Did they eat the chickens?

I've never had an Irish Wolf hound but being from the hound family I'd say there is a higher chance but with training at an early age they could be taught to leave the birds alone. Any breed of dog has the chance to go after poultry, they are predators after all.

I am a firm believer that any breed can be fine around your other animals if you are willing to put in the time and consistent effort to train them. Got to work on it every day and it will take time.

I'd love to see pics of your wolfhounds. Good luck!

I don't have any yet but I wanted to know before I got one that I could give it a good home and not have to give it away because of a problem like that. They are BEAUTIFUL though!
bow.gif

We had a rescue Irish Wolfhound when I was growing up. At that time we did not have chickens but did have cats. She was perfectly fine with the cats and was very good natured in general. I really think chicken maiming is part of the individuals psyche, and you never know until you get the two species together. I imagine if you got one from a puppy you could work it out.

They are sight hounds, so they will chase and kill. Chickens flap and squawk so they are a great temptation.

I have owned Deerhounds, who are related to the Wolfhounds and the Deerhounds were fine with poultry, because I trained them to not hunt poultry. If you train your wolfhound right from day one and never allow any chicken chasing, the dog will be fine with birds.

I would not risk leaving a sight hound unsupervised with poultry all day long. I suggest, as a precaution, that you do not leave your Wolfhound unsupervised with your birds. I make the same suggestion for all breeds of dog. Don't set the dog up to make a mistake and then blame the dog for your mismanagement.

Last edited:
They are sight hounds, so they will chase and kill. Chickens flap and squawk so they are a great temptation.

I have owned Deerhounds, who are related to the Wolfhounds and the Deerhounds were fine with poultry, because I trained them to not hunt poultry. If you train your wolfhound right from day one and never allow any chicken chasing, the dog will be fine with birds.

I would not risk leaving a sight hound unsupervised with poultry all day long. I suggest, as a precaution, that you do not leave your Wolfhound unsupervised with your birds. I make the same suggestion for all breeds of dog. Don't set the dog up to make a mistake and then blame the dog for your mismanagement.
Thank you!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom