Irritated bum and losing feathers??

ChickenGram

In the Brooder
May 1, 2019
Hi All,

My white girl seems to have irritated skin near her vent and is losing some feathers, but not bald yet (photos below). (Sorry about the graphic vent pic!!) The redness seems to be at her pores where the feathers come from - her vent seems to be okay? Her behaviour seems to be normal, although she hasn't laid an egg for a couple weeks. Really unsure if I should be concerned about this or not. I have no idea what it could be and have spent ages trying to google it.

I hope it's not related, but just last week I lost one of my other girls very suddenly 😭 I couldn't find her throughout the day, checked on her later and found her sitting down doing nothing, looking very sleepy and lethargic in the back corner under their favourite tree. We inspected her bum a few hours later to find it very messy and mucusy and some lice/mite/bacteria looking stuff near her vent (I wasn't sure about what it was). We took her to an ordinary emergency vet as everything else was closed and all they could tell me is that she had some kind of bacterial infection in her gastrointestinal tract. She died an hour or two after I brought her home 😭

My third chicken has had a poopy butt with droppings hardening on her bum feathers - I have cut away the crusted feathers and have been spraying her bum and the white girl with the irritated bum with antiseptic spray given to me by an avian vet. Could my white girls irritation be from the antiseptic? She didn't have a poopy bum to begin with but I thought I would spray her too as a precaution.

I really can't bear the thought of losing another girl so I really want to do all I can to make sure they're healthy!!

Thanks in advance! 😢

IMG_1134.PNG

IMG_1130.jpg

Hi All,

My white girl seems to have irritated skin near her vent and is losing some feathers, but not bald yet (photos below). (Sorry about the graphic vent pic!!) The redness seems to be at her pores where the feathers come from - her vent seems to be okay? Her behaviour seems to be normal, although she hasn't laid an egg for a couple weeks. Really unsure if I should be concerned about this or not. I have no idea what it could be and have spent ages trying to google it.

I hope it's not related, but just last week I lost one of my other girls very suddenly 😭 I couldn't find her throughout the day, checked on her later and found her sitting down doing nothing, looking very sleepy and lethargic in the back corner under their favourite tree. We inspected her bum a few hours later to find it very messy and mucusy and some lice/mite/bacteria looking stuff near her vent (I wasn't sure about what it was). We took her to an ordinary emergency vet as everything else was closed and all they could tell me is that she had some kind of bacterial infection in her gastrointestinal tract. She died an hour or two after I brought her home 😭

My third chicken has had a poopy butt with droppings hardening on her bum feathers - I have cut away the crusted feathers and have been spraying her bum and the white girl with the irritated bum with antiseptic spray given to me by an avian vet. Could my white girls irritation be from the antiseptic? She didn't have a poopy bum to begin with but I thought I would spray her too as a precaution.

I really can't bear the thought of losing another girl so I really want to do all I can to make sure they're healthy!!

Thanks in advance! 😢

View attachment 2422003

View attachment 2422004
Hi,
So very sorry about your loss.
Here are some people who can help:
@Wyorp Rock @Chicken Chiquita

Sorry that you lost one.

Have you treated your birds for lice/mites since you saw some on the other bird?
Permethrin can be found at TSC.

Thank you, I have cleaned and sprayed their coop with a mites/lice treatment from my vet since. Someone else has suggested some other products to worm them as well so I’m going to do that next!

To be clear, I wasn’t actually sure if the one that died had mites/lice or not. I think the mess near her bum was just bacteria. I’ve never had mites or lice on any of my chickens before so I’mnot sure what they look like!

Thank you, I have cleaned and sprayed their coop with a mites/lice treatment from my vet since. Someone else has suggested some other products to worm them as well so I’m going to do that next!

To be clear, I wasn’t actually sure if the one that died had mites/lice or not. I think the mess near her bum was just bacteria. I’ve never had mites or lice on any of my chickens before so I’mnot sure what they look like!
Here are some pics (warning **graphic**) I found online, maybe they can help.
Lice:
lice-on-chicken.jpg
001d.jpg
Mites:
Mites in Poultry.jpg image.jpg
Btw, how is your hen doing??

Back
Top Bottom