Irritating egg buying customers....*vent*

chilisweet

Songster
11 Years
Jun 17, 2008
Vancouver, WA
So I advertised my eggs on Craiglist and some guy wants 36 of them. He comes to get them and off he goes. In my ad I listed the eggs as an assortment of medium to large sizes. Most are medium with an occasional large.

Anyways, I sent a follow up email to him asking him how he liked his eggs. His reply" The yolk was a nice yellow color and tasted great. I liked that they were from free range chickens, but I had to thow out 2 because they'd be fertilized and had formed into embryos. And they were pretty small, but we were fairly okay with them."

I email him back to let him know, I was sorry he didnt really like the egg sizes, but that in the add it stated they would be medium to large, and that it was interesting that the eggs formed into embryos, since I dont have any roosters.

Needless to say I wont do business with these guys again.

ARGGGGGGGGGGG
he.gif

Sorry to vent, just had to share with people who would understand!

~Caran

Some people's kids, I tell ya

He probably just wanted to see if you would offer a refund of some kind or free eggs for the ones he had to "throw out"

Sorry chilisweet - and good rant! It's amazing how little people know about eggs and chickens. I gave a good friend a half-dozen eggs from my clucks last summer, and she said her two tween girls freaked out and wouldn't eat them because the eggs were brown and not white. (And I've lost count of how many times I've explained to people that no, you don't have to have a rooster for the hens to lay eggs.)

When I advertise I just say fresh eggs for sale. I don't say what size they can expect. Last customer got an extra 6 eggs because I had to fiinish the last 3 eggs with small eggs and he's a repeat customer. All he said was, they all eat the same and then he tried to pay me for the extra eggs. I of course declined. He buys eggs on a regular basis and I like to keep him happy that and he's gonna give us a big freezer
smile.png

I had to laugh when he said that two had formed into embryos with no roo around kinda hard to happen. I'd tell him he's better off buying processed caged hen eggs from the store.

Thanks guys... I knew you all would understand.

I think next time I will do like you said cluckchick, and just post eggs. No sizes. that way there is no expectations!
smile.png

~Caran

My regular egg customers also get a few extra if I have pullet eggs and they are a little on the small size. I just generally keep the smaller ones for using ourselves.

I think some people think a blood spot is an embroyo. I have had some real strange egg customers also. I have had people who have said that they just can't eat a egg with yolk so dark. I have also had people who request all brown eggs since they are certain my few green and white egg layers eggs are not as good.

I am thankful that I have just about the right number of good repeat customers for the number of eggs we are producing.

We have more customers than we know what to do with. But recently a co-worker bought a dozen, made cookies the next day with her tweens, and one of the girls freaked out because she was convinced the eggs were fertilized..."those stringy, white things attached to the yolk!!!", so Mom had to take ell of the "stringy" eggs out of the bowl she had cracked them into. I suppose the eggs got wasted. And she came to work the next day full of questions about roosters (no) and what that "icky white stuff could be."

I found a good site with egg anatomy, emailed it to her. It even said in the desccription that the chalazae will be more prominent in a fresher egg.

On the other hand, DH took 4 dozen eggs to the dentist's staff (as requested!!!!), called the day before so they could have the $2/dozen we had agreed upon, my husband came home with $12!!!! The staff said they want to be sure that they are on our "priority list" and that when our new hens start laying in the Fall they can get 4 dozen every two weeks instead of monthly!!!! $12 is a bag of feed around here!

Well, I've had my egg rant for the day on another thread. Most of my customers have had some limited experience with chickens in their younger days, so they wouldnt be put off too much by one little blood spot or a slightly smaller eggs. My label says that my eggs are "UNGRADED", so they have not been candled or a guaranteed size, though I try to sort the smalls and mediums together in a group in their own cartons and mark them as such. The really small ones, I keep and use here.

Back
Top Bottom