Irritation and feather loss

RebinNH

Songster
Jun 15, 2022
My drake has an area on the back of his neck, near his back that is very red, irritated and there is feather loss with a strange look to the skin (perhaps the skin would be considered normal if not so red).
I will try to send a couple pics. He doesn't really seem to be bothered by it though he does stretch his head way over his back and kind of swish it from side to side. I think it has gotten bigger in the past week or so. I tried a silver cream and that may have made it worse so I just sprayed Vetericyn on it which in the past seems to calm irritated skin issues (I had forgotten about it til today).
Any thoughts? The rest of the three seem fine and I would be more inclined to think another bird did it to him except that I never see the females on his back - as he obviously is on theirs.
Sorry the pics did not come out good. For some reason they focussed on the grass instead of his neck.

Attachments

• P1010378.JPG
    P1010378.JPG
    623.9 KB · Views: 33
And it isn't extra carnucles appearing when my drake got into a fight with my gander he had feathers yanked out of his neck about the same place and carnucles came up on the skin.

I think that your boy, @RebinNH, from the photo,is a normal muscovy drake. I have three and one of them has developed chevrons down the back of his neck this year. I have never seen anything like it before. I initially thought it was an injury from fighting -- the other two have just one small patch of carruncles on the back of their necks and I had to catch them and have a good luck between the feathers to realuse that there was no wound. But the one boy is just covered in carruncles down his neck

Don't worry your boy is normal

Hey, Ruth, would you please send a pic of the back of one of their necks? I need to see if we are talking about the same issue.
Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom