Is 18% protein enough for chicks?

Lillith37

Specially interested in chickens
Jan 7, 2023
Melbourne, Australia
I have (hopefully) my last broody hen of the season. The problem is that I can’t source the usual starter feed at 20% plus protein. Other starters all have a coccidiostat in them which I would prefer my adult hens not to eat. Everyone has access to everything in my coop and yard so I can’t keep groups separated (but I am looking into that if I can get a longer lease on this place).

I have the flock on a grower pellet that is 18% protein. Would it be okay to grind up the pellets so the chicks can eat that? If I have grit available for them as well?

You'll probably get different responses, but I think that's fine. They may not grow as quickly or as robust as on a 20 or 22% protein feed but if you're not growing them primarily for meat it shouldn't be an issue.

You could also try soaking the pellets to make wet mash, so that would be easy for chicks to eat without having to crush pellets.

Can you get "flock raiser" or "all flock"?
Those are usually 20% protein and have no thiamin blocker in them.
For very young chicks it may need crushed a bit more if it's the small pellet version.

Yeah so there is an all flock pellet by a different brand that has 22% protein (same as the starter that I usually go for) except the all-flock has a minimum calcium level of 3.8% so I’m not sure the benefit of the extra protein would outweigh the potential consequences of the higher calcium.

I also only have two hens out of six who are laying, plus a pullet, plus however many new chicks. So only the two need extra calcium and they have the oyster shell for that.

Last edited:
You'll probably get different responses, but I think that's fine. They may not grow as quickly or as robust as on a 20 or 22% protein feed but if you're not growing them primarily for meat it shouldn't be an issue.

You could also try soaking the pellets to make wet mash, so that would be easy for chicks to eat without having to crush pellets.

Thanks for your perspective and advice. All my flock mingles together and they go nuts for wet mash so anything I put out, the big girls will have first go and probably eat it all. I’m okay with grinding up the pellets and then when my hens realise it’s nothing special or different then the babies can get what they need.

You’re right they aren’t being grown for meat or any other purpose other than to fulfil my broody hen’s mothering instincts haha so hopefully it will be okay.

Yeah so there is an all flock pellet by a different brand that has 22% protein (same as the starter that I usually go for) except the all-flock has a minimum calcium level of 3.8% so I’m not sure the benefit of the extra protein would outweigh the potential consequences of the higher calcium.

I also only have two hens out of six who are laying, plus a pullet, plus however many new chicks. So only the two need extra calcium and they have the oyster shell for that.

That is more like a layer than an all flock with that calcium.
If that's the only choices I would feed the 18 percent.

My opinion is yes 18% is enough. There is fine line between not enough and too much protein. My chicken lady expert where I get my chicks calls high protein feed "death food," because it can make chicks grow too fast, reproductive issues....
“High protein feed” is broiler feed though, for meat breeds like cornish x that were designed to take in high levels of protein and convert them into meat quickly. Grower and all flock feeds that are 20% are not “high protein”, and not a “death trap” at all. They are designed to meet the needs of the whole flock, and are totally safe.

Back
Top Bottom