Is 2 inch wire too big?

GermanKennhuhn

Crossing the Road
8 Years
Oct 10, 2015
New England
We just started adding a larger run on to our coop. We're going to put 1 inch on the sides, but I was wondering if 2 inch wire on the top is too big. Our existing coop has 1 inch on the sides and top, and we've never had any problems with it. The reason we want to use 2 inch is because it cheaper and we're trying to eliminate snow build-up in the winter. Thanks in advance!

We just started adding a larger run on to our coop. We're going to put 1 inch on the sides, but I was wondering if 2 inch wire on the top is too big. Our existing coop has 1 inch on the sides and top, and we've never had any problems with it. The reason we want to use 2 inch is because it cheaper and we're trying to eliminate snow build-up in the winter. Thanks in advance!
You won't have any problems until a weasel or racoon comes along and finds your chickens. Then you will.
Any opening into the coop greater than 1/2" spells trouble.
The run may be secure with wires that size as long as it is strong enough to withstand a dog or other canine daytime predator.

Last edited:
Depends what kinds of predators you have in your area and your risk comfort level. People build with any material from 1/2 inch or 1/4 inch hardware cloth everywhere, all the way to the other extreme of totally free range all the time with no fencing at all. You have to find what works for you and what you are comfortable with. I like to think about the most likely type of predator I will see in my area, and if my run will keep that particular predator out, I can sleep soundly at night, but I know that there are still risks from other predators and some level of vulnerability for my flock, but I have at least eliminated the biggest risks.

What kind of 1" or 2" the hexagonal chicken wire?
The kind that's measured across the flats?
Like this:
upload_2019-9-6_10-2-46.png

I use 14ga 2x4 welded wire on my run roof,
most snow goes thru, but not always.
Note: I do not consider this predator proof.

How much snow are you dealing with @mikehh ?
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
upload_2019-9-6_10-14-30.png

Last edited:
I covered our big run with bird netting. The openings are 1/2", but of course it is fabric and not as secure as wire mesh. But in the 4 yrs we've had this, nothing has ever breached it. Of course they are locked in a secure coop each night.
If you are talking about chicken wire, that isn't really very secure either but may be okay for daytime only.

Yes, the one that's measured along the flats. We'll have support beams across the top to support the wire, along with posts holding up those beams

I also have 2”x4” welded wire on the tops of my run and agree that for the most part snow goes through. I do see build up on the occasion that we have a heavy wet snow in spring, but that is not typical in my climate. My area is known for dry snow.
Mine is known for wet snow, often preceded by freezing rain...
....which really helps it stick :rolleyes:
Have to go out and bang the snow off from underneath when that happens.
Why I keep a path shoveled inside.....after wading thru in thigh deep snow to clear off an almost collapsed roof.
full

Sorry I re-read your post and realize now you were asking about snow. I live in NC so we just panic like our chickens when it starts falling. ;)

I have common 2"x4" galvanized wire fence wire around a 1/4 acre open top run for my chickens in the woods. I do lock them up every night in the coop but knock on wood- no predatory deaths in a few years now. I have a lot of coyotes and hawks, but the hawks can't swoop in the wooded area and the coyotes don't get through the fence. The raccoons and possums come at night when they are in their coop, so they are safe then as well.

Sorry aart, I just saw your post. I'm in the New England area, and I've got the same problem. That rain sure makes the snow sticky. I want to find a solution to that but I'm worried that the 2 inch wire won't keep weasels and such out of my coop.

Back
Top Bottom