Is 20% protein too much for pullets and laying hens?

Pics
The problem with flock raiser or most feeds is they have 0% meat protein. They're all plant protein. Nothing wrong with feeding it as a base but it should be supplemented. My Chanteclers lay and live to a ripe old age with a varied diet.

A hen will never increase her egg production. She is born with however many eggs she will lay.
While that's interesting and all, its entirely non responsive to what I said. At no point did I suggest that diet somehow resulted in a hen spontaneously creating more egg cells for eventual expulsion as a fully formed and shelled "chicken egg".

What I said is that it had an effect in increasing frequency of lay [as compared to 16% feed]. As it allows the chicken to perform at a rate much closer to its theoretical maximum.

Unlike altering daily light levels with artificial lighting, its not "tricking" the chicken's body into doing anything it wouldn't normally do, it merely allows the bird to better do what it would naturally do.

Read your labels. You'd be surprised what is available at lower prices that is an "all flock" feed. My best bang for the buck is Turkey/gambird finisher at 20% protein. Non medicated chick starter is another if you prefer crumbles. Grower feeds are another that are usually 18%. Check the protein content to find what you want, compare prices and freshness and know none of these will have the unwanted extra calcium or medication. They are all an "all flock" feed.

(I understand this has been discussed before, but I would like to know what ya'll suggest for my specific situation).
I have 3 Ameraucana pullets that will be laying this spring and a 3 year old E.E hen who is probably close to not laying anymore. I decided to go the method of buying Purina's Flock Raiser and supplementing calcium on the side. They are both on flock raiser right now even though the pullets have not moved in with the hen yet.
Anyways, I noticed that it has 20% protein, whereas I heard that most laying hens need around 17-18% protein?? I also read on Purina's website about their Flock Raiser that it's typically used to grow broiler hens. My chickens are my pets and I'm aiming for a long life rather than higher egg or meat production. Will feeding them something meant for growing broiler chickens be harmful to them in the long run? I've heard a lot of different opinions on how much protein chickens need so I'm confused as to what feed is best for my flock of 3 young pullets and an almost non-laying hen.
What feed do you guys use for a mixed flock of pullets, layers, and non laying hens in it? If need be, are there any lower protein flock raiser/mixed flock/all flock feeds? Thanks for any advice.
I have to agree with others, the 20% is fine, though 16% is the minimum. If you have a lot of chickens in the future and want to save a little money, buy the 16% and add oyster shell to the mix. After the age of 1yr old, it would be good for them.

Back
Top Bottom