is 2x4 wire too big for a bantam run??

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by chelsey21211, Mar 23, 2013.

1. chelsey21211

chelsey21211 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2013
    North Texas
    All inquiries appreciated!

2. real_redhead

real_redhead Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    Roanoke, VA
    I say yes too small, my banty can get thru wire that small. I personally use rat wire after having a dog break thru and kill most of my girls I feel much safer with it. One one side of our yard the fence is 2x4 and the banty can go thru it when she wants.

1 person likes this.
  3. chelsey21211

chelsey21211 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2013
    North Texas
    Very good to know,thank you! Workin on plans for coop and run so any other suggestions work help!

4. Iggys Acres

Iggys Acres Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2013
    Texas
    Some of my bird pens can be reached by coyotes, and I use 2 x 4 wire to keep the coyotes or dogs out! Then a finer wire to keep the birds in, even chicken wire works. I have bite marks on the 2x4 stuff from coyotes, but the only birds they killed were some pheasants that panicked and jump up and stuck there heads out and got chomped that way, that's when I started using a finer mesh inside the pen. Also I now keep the pens next to another fence or 2 or 3 together so the birds "hide" on the inside wall if the coyotes circle the pens trying to flush them. Lesson learned! I use 6 ft tall chain link dog runs (because I had them) around my layer flocks to also deter the coyotes from a daytime attempt.

5. Kilsharion

Kilsharion Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2013
    Landstown
    My Coop
    I use ½ " hardware cloth for all my runs. Just don't trust anything to not reach through and grab on anything bigger.

6. nascarjunkie1

nascarjunkie1 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2013
    Marion, Arkansas
    I too also used 1/2 hardware cloth.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by