Is $4 a good price for.....

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by texaschickmama, Feb 11, 2009.

1. texaschickmama

texaschickmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Poolville, TX
    Is $4 a fair price for my buff orpington cockerals? They are 15 wks old and very healthy and pretty. I did have $5 each on them and then a guy called and said if I took $4 each he would take all 17 of them. What do you think? He kind of made me mad because when I talked to him on Sunday he said he couldn't make it out until this coming weekend which means I have to feed them for another week and he still wants them for $4 a piece....... [​IMG]

2. Poohbear

Poohbear On a Time Out

Nov 12, 2008
    Texas
    Don't hold fowl for buyers! Bad thing to get started. Instead, tell them if they are still there the price may be higher tomorrow!

3. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    yes. cockerels don't bring as much as pullets.

there are several ideas that pop in my head: you can counter offer with $75, you can keep feeding them or have $68 in your pocket.

you just need to decide what your time is worth and what you feel satisfied with. best wishes!

edited to add: here in Michigan, a mature cockerel doesn't go for more than $7.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2009
  4. seedcorn

seedcorn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    NE. IN
    First person w/$$$$$, let them go. No holding anything. First come, first serve.

The other question, would you pay $4/bird? I wouldn't. I'd pay that or more for one if I wanted it for breeding, etc. Anytime someone offers me more than I think it's worth, I'd better take the $$.

5. hooksetz

hooksetz Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2009
    Tampa Bay
    I've been getting 6 & 7 dollars for 3 mo. old roo chicks here, just at the sale barn. But if I wanted them gone and feed cost was an issue I'd put 'em in my back pocket at the first reasonable price, but I would not hold them for anybody even family.

6. pipermark

pipermark Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2007
    Arkansas
    Around here you have to give roosters away.

7. lovemychix

lovemychix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2008
    Moulton Iowa
    Quote:I do too. [​IMG]

8. Love my Critters!

Love my Critters! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Carlsbad, NM
    Me too! Mine are silkies so they are not good eating (I've been told) and I don't want to just kill them so I give them away. I would take $4 and run!

9. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    I wouldnt hold them for him. But if you still have any or all of them left when he wants them you can negotiate your price withnhim then.

10. ghulst

ghulst Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Zeeland Michigan
    Sounds like a good price

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by