Is 66% humidity hgh enough for lock down in a brinsea eco 20?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Long Last Farm, Mar 15, 2011.

1. Long Last Farm

Long Last Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2010
    Southern Tier, NY
    Hi
    I locked down my frst hatch this morning at 6:00 am in a brinsea eco 20. My house is really dry--using a wood burng stove. I filled both water channels, and added a sponge. I have the vent totally closed. Just checked the humidity --66% I have a cheapie hydrometer/thermometer. Is this high enough for a successful hatch? Thanks--any suggestions appreciated....
    Pat

2. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    That is about what I usually run mine, but some will tell you as high as 75%. I think they should be fine.

3. SpringChickens

SpringChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    College Station, Tx
    It should be fine. You should be able to have a successful hatch as low as 50%

4. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    I haven't hatched any in my Brinsea yet since I've had staggered batches but in my hatcher I've kept the humidity at 55%. You will read lots & lots of opinions on what your humidity should be during lockdown. Some people like it really high some med and some people don't even check the humidity. After you've hatched a few batches you'll get the feel of what's best for you in the area that you live in and in your home!

ETA: Good luck on your hatch!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 15, 2011
  5. Long Last Farm

Long Last Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2010
    Southern Tier, NY
    thanks, everyone for the quick replies.! I guess I am concerned because the instruction manual for the eco 20 says in BIG DARK LETTERS: KEEP THE VENT AT LEAST 1/3 OPEN
    I lose humidity when I do that. If I need to add more water later, can I use a straw through the vent hole?

6. SpringChickens

SpringChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    College Station, Tx
    What a lot of people do is add a towel (or something) to the very bottom of the bator - let it act as a wick to draw water out of the well and increase surface area. Good luck with your hatch!

7. DanEP

DanEP Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Cadiz Ky
    65 should be fine . Yep you can use a straw to add water if needed, I use a turky injector to add water thru the vent, it won't bend up on you and you can kind of shoot it where you want it.

Dan

8. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    I have a wood stove and Brinsea eco 20s. I've never done more than add water to the channels. I keep the vent wide open too and I have never had a shrink wrapped chick.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2011
  9. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Can't tell you how helpful this is. Doing my first incubator hatch w/a new Brinsea 20 eco. Only on day 4 but having trouble getting humidity up to even 40... had to close the vent all the way to get that. Also a wood burner 24/7. Someone else suggested using some of the sham-wow material under the tray... thought it was a good idea because they can hold so much water and yet take up less space. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by