Is 66% humidity hgh enough for lock down in a brinsea eco 20?

Long Last Farm

Songster
9 Years
Apr 30, 2010
Southern Tier, NY
Hi
I locked down my frst hatch this morning at 6:00 am in a brinsea eco 20. My house is really dry--using a wood burng stove. I filled both water channels, and added a sponge. I have the vent totally closed. Just checked the humidity --66% I have a cheapie hydrometer/thermometer. Is this high enough for a successful hatch? Thanks--any suggestions appreciated....
Pat

I haven't hatched any in my Brinsea yet since I've had staggered batches but in my hatcher I've kept the humidity at 55%. You will read lots & lots of opinions on what your humidity should be during lockdown. Some people like it really high some med and some people don't even check the humidity. After you've hatched a few batches you'll get the feel of what's best for you in the area that you live in and in your home!

ETA: Good luck on your hatch!!
jumpy.gif

Last edited:
thanks, everyone for the quick replies.! I guess I am concerned because the instruction manual for the eco 20 says in BIG DARK LETTERS: KEEP THE VENT AT LEAST 1/3 OPEN
I lose humidity when I do that. If I need to add more water later, can I use a straw through the vent hole?

What a lot of people do is add a towel (or something) to the very bottom of the bator - let it act as a wick to draw water out of the well and increase surface area. Good luck with your hatch!

65 should be fine . Yep you can use a straw to add water if needed, I use a turky injector to add water thru the vent, it won't bend up on you and you can kind of shoot it where you want it.

Dan

I have a wood stove and Brinsea eco 20s. I've never done more than add water to the channels. I keep the vent wide open too and I have never had a shrink wrapped chick.

Last edited:
Can't tell you how helpful this is. Doing my first incubator hatch w/a new Brinsea 20 eco. Only on day 4 but having trouble getting humidity up to even 40... had to close the vent all the way to get that. Also a wood burner 24/7. Someone else suggested using some of the sham-wow material under the tray... thought it was a good idea because they can hold so much water and yet take up less space. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom