Is a 4' x 7' coop with 2 nesting boxes way too small for 10 chickens?

wvchix

Songster
8 Years
Apr 11, 2012
WV
I have 3 Leghorns, 3 Red Sex Links, 3 Easter Eggers, and 1 Silver Laced Wyandottes. I was hoping to put all of them in this new coop, but I have another coop with 2 Silkies, a Barred Rock, and a New Hampshire Red, and I could put 3 more in with them. What should I do? If I add some to my existing flock, which breed should I put with them?

You need 4 sq. ft. per bird for the interior of your coop, and 10 sq. ft. per bird for the run.  The dimensions you have stated are sufficient for 7 hens. 

Kelly

Thank you. That's what I figured. Which breed should I put with my existing flock (barred rock, New Hampshire, and 2 Silkies)?

Do your chickens free range, or the two flocks always kept separate?

They do free range with our supervision. They will be in seperat coops with their own runs. Should I keep them out of their coops at seperate times to free range, so they don't fight?

Do your chickens free range, or the two flocks always kept separate?

How did you make the pop door on your coop? I have to go into the run of my old coop to open and shut the door. I love your coop by the way! I just bought dish pans for my nesting boxes, love this idea! I'm going to try the construction sand instead of shavings this time also. Thanks for the inspiration!
smile.png

Last edited:
How did you make the pop door on your coop? I have to go into the run of my old coop to open and shut the door. I love your coop by the way! I just bought dish pans for my nesting boxes, love this idea! I'm going to try the construction sand instead of shavings this time also. Thanks for the inspiration!
smile.png

Here is my pop door. It's just a simple pulley door.

IMG_28712.jpg

Here's the pulley
IMG_2858.jpg
The brown pieces of wood that the door sides up and down in, have a track cut out of the wood so it can easily slide up and down. The green cord just goes up to a hole by the main door of the run:
IMG_2861.jpg
IMG_2864.jpg

Then it attaches to a simple eyelet hook.
IMG_2873.jpg

IMG_2865.jpg

Last edited:
They do free range with our supervision. They will be in seperat coops with their own runs. Should I keep them out of their coops at seperate times to free range, so they don't fight?
I would let them free range together all the time. It is the best way to get different chickens to accept one another. They have the luxury of doing it in their own way and in their own time. Because they are outside, they can easily run away from each other when someone attempts to become aggressive or territorial. So I would recommend always free ranging with all the girls together. Over time, they will come to unite into one flock who sleeps in separate quarters. I don't know think it really matters which breed you add to the existing flock. Which ever 3 go over, there will be issues with pecking order establishment and that can be very hard. For starters though, let everyone free range together as much and often as possible.

I would let them free range together all the time. It is the best way to get different chickens to accept one another. They have the luxury of doing it in their own way and in their own time. Because they are outside, they can easily run away from each other when someone attempts to become aggressive or territorial. So I would recommend always free ranging with all the girls together. Over time, they will come to unite into one flock who sleeps in separate quarters. I don't know think it really matters which breed you add to the existing flock. Which ever 3 go over, there will be issues with pecking order establishment and that can be very hard. For starters though, let everyone free range together as much and often as possible.

Thanks for the helpful information. It will be nice to not have to enter the run to open and close the door. I'm glad to know that I can let them free range together also. I was worried that they would fight if they were all out at the same time.

Chickens really shouldn't fight while free-ranging unless you have an overabundance of roosters. Hens are pretty mellow and don't cause a whole lot of trouble.

Back
Top Bottom